Graham Weigh 531c project

Captain Vimes

Retro Guru
Right, as I have started stripping down what I bought last week, I thought I would start a build thread.

Picked up this Graham Weigh 531c frame with campag headset and bottom bracket.

The serial number is 3270596. Anyone know how to decipher? Are the last two digits the year?

Both headset and bottom bracket have come off easily and are in very good condition.

I have a complete 1990 Shimano Exage groupset in excellent condition that is correct for period and will be going on it until I can afford something a little higher spec, and a selection of period bars and seat posts to finish it off as I see fit.

I have also bought a set of the period stickers for the head, down and seat tubes. These have light blue lettering on a white background.

Therefore all I need is a set of 531c stickers and to get the bike painted.

I was thinking sky blue or white to suite period, and I have matching seats and bar tape for both colours.

However my favourite colours are Orange and Green! Decisions, decisions.... :)

AFAIK the last two numbers are indeed the year code, when I bought my 853 from them they told me it was approximately a 1999 frame

Now that's a bit spooky.
My Paul Donohue ( who I believe made frames for Graham Weigh ) has a serial number 3272096. Only 2 digits away so there must be a way to decipher them,I also assumed 1996 but the rest ?? No idea :LOL:

1254826005_cat_funny_dance.gif

The good news is that after a really good clean I have decided the bike does not need paint. I removed the tatty old stickers and replaced with a brand new set from Weigh cycles and here is the result.

I dug out the Exage 300EX groupset that is going on the Weigh over the weekend.

I will spend the next few evenings cleaning and polishing and then put it all together next weekend. :D

I also got some bar tape to match the charge spoon saddle in a very pale blue that I think will suite it very well.

Watch out for the finished article next weekend!

Back