RALEIGH BANANA 531 REPLICA

Bananasplit

Devout Dirtbag
Hi good afternoon, thought i would post some pictures of my lastest retro/modern rebuild. :|

Attachments

• BANANA1.jpg
    BANANA1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,573
  • BANANA2.jpg
    BANANA2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • BANANA4.jpg
    BANANA4.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,573
  • BANANA13.jpg
    BANANA13.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,572
Looks to be in great condition, smart and these still look good today - nice bit of retro action from my childhood. Like the idea of an old frame & modern components - really should give it a go.

Just a few more later images, 2nd ride.

Attachments

• CANAL2.jpg
    CANAL2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,472
  • CANAL1.jpg
    CANAL1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,472
Really nice build, you've done a cracking job.

Only pointer I'd politely suggest is putting a 'Banana' decal on the n/s fork blade? Think there's a pic somewhere on my banana build thread. Nick at H Lloyd has these, and the ones for the rear stays if you need them?

I run vittoria yellow/black tyres, on my modern bike, they'd look epic on yours!

Nice one, many thanks for the comment. It's been built from the shot blasting upwards. Currently restoring my father in laws raleigh rx100.

Well done with this Banana mate! It looks fantastic. I must admit I've never been overly keen on the Team Banana colour scheme - that is until I saw your freshly painted example in vivid splendour.

What did you keep from the original build? And what chain set and freewheel/cassette are you using now?

I recently refurbed a Raleigh Equipe and pretty much replaced most of the components, bar the downtube shifters and rear mech which still click together perfectly. Still didn't stop it from a 307 mile mechanical disaster free trip from Cherbourg down to Saint Malo for the TDF this summer.
I've now got a Campag Chorus 53/39 and a mega range 6 speed 13/34 on the back (I used the 34 cog more often than I hoped but I still kept up with my mates on their modern Specialized, Treks and Konas)

Well done with the Banana, cracking job. Here's a shot of my Equipe.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8cmzf88v2zm9f ... 6%2047.jpg

Hi good morning, thanks for looking and posting great comments. Unfortunately she doesn't look like that any Moore, a lady driving an M3 tried to mate with my bike lol.
Got away with scrapes to pedals and bar tape but n/s/r chain stay is bent from the impact. Will pop a few tear felt photos on later. Love the green and chrome forks, very eye catching, do you have other pictures?

That is massively unlucky - I hope there's recompense coming your way from said lady driving an M3!

The flipside is that these frames do come up for sale fairly frequently, perhaps not though in such nice condition. I hope you get sorted.

@Bananasplit, you did a great job with your banana. Sorry to hear of the accident. Hope you're OK.

@Meejoir, I love the colour of your Equipe. Did you get it powdercoated? Do you know the exact colour in the RAL range that was used as I think it's rather splendid :)

Richard

Back