Late 70's or early 80's Geoffrey Butler

Miguello

Dirt Disciple
Came across this frame at a country bike shop, run by a cool ex bmx racer from the 80's. It was a dirty bare frame which hadn't seen much love for the last 20 or so years(estimated). I had a Motobecane Grand Record which I had gotten a little bored with, so I robbed most of the parts, polished the frame, touched up the chips, and built it. It rides SO nice, and becomes the center of attention at most rides I attend. Hope you guys enjoy it. Some of you may have seen it before, but please respect my "do over" status.

Also, if anyone can tell me the exact year or what model this might be? Or did they only make one model? Logic says no.

I REALLY, REALLY, want to put a TA crank on it. Maybe in a few weeks. I guess I could put a Velo Orange on it?

DSCN4734_zpsfbc7f781.jpg

DSCN4738_zps29f75554.jpg

DSCN4737_zps6effa384.jpg

DSCN4726_zps4dcad786.jpg

Miguello":3v92pso5 said:
Came across this frame at a country bike shop, run by a cool ex bmx racer from the 80's. It was a dirty bare frame which hadn't seen much love for the last 20 or so years(estimated). I had a Motobecane Grand Record which I had gotten a little bored with, so I robbed most of the parts, polished the frame, touched up the chips, and built it. It rides SO nice, and becomes the center of attention at most rides I attend. Hope you guys enjoy it. Some of you may have seen it before, but please respect my "do over" status.

Also, if anyone can tell me the exact year or what model this might be? Or did they only make one model? Logic says no.

I REALLY, REALLY, want to put a TA crank on it. Maybe in a few weeks. I guess I could put a Velo Orange on it?

DSCN4734_zpsfbc7f781.jpg

DSCN4738_zps29f75554.jpg

DSCN4737_zps6effa384.jpg

DSCN4726_zps4dcad786.jpg

Geoffrey Butler Cycles (GBC), in South Croydon is a shop I used to walk past every day on my way to school in the 1970s.

They did not build their own frames, they were bought in from the trade (from various sources), yours looks like a nice one (chromed Nervex lugs) and I would place it in the late 1960s or early 1970s from what I can see - profile photos of the seat cluster, headtube etc would make dating easier - although in many cases dating is far from an exact science.

Looks like a quite old CTC transfer - could we have a better image of that?

GBC is still in business but they'll not be able to help with this frame - they'll not have records for the reason mentioned.

Are the forks original, can't see chrome dropouts or mudguard eyes?

Hope this helps.

Rk.

P.S you must be pretty tall to ride this.

According to another source, the 531 frame tubing decal was produced from 77-81. I agree it looks older than it is, given the styling cues. One of the most interesting possibilities, is that the frame is a Roberts build. The pinstripes on the seat stay caps match many Roberts frames I have seen. I have nothing to back that up however. It has three cycling club decals, so the original owner was quite the avid cyclist. It has the CTC decal, League of American Wheelmen on the downtube, and another one that is not quite legible on the seat tube.

Miguello":1vo5ybwr said:
According to another source, the 531 frame tubing decal was produced from 77-81. I agree it looks older than it is, given the styling cues. One of the most interesting possibilities, is that the frame is a Roberts build. The pinstripes on the seat stay caps match many Roberts frames I have seen. I have nothing to back that up however. It has three cycling club decals, so the original owner was quite the avid cyclist. It has the CTC decal, League of American Wheelmen on the downtube, and another one that is not quite legible on the seat tube.

You have the advantage of me as I cannot see the Reynolds decal - however dating a frame from a decal is as reliable as dating a frame from components.

However Reynolds decals (esp' the 531 decal) did not have such a short lifespan...post an image of the decal and I'll date it (I already suspect what one it'll be).

I doubt if it is a Roberts, I know Roberts well (I have one), they're in the same town as GBC, again you're clutching at straws...identifying a frame from seat cap pinstripes! I can name at least six builders local to Roberts who did this on stay caps - I think the cluster is a little"clunky"for a Roberts.

In any case early Roberts frames built by Chas Roberts Snr (as opposed to Chas Roberts Jnr) more often than not had a full wrapover.

I did ask a question about the fork, and do you have a frame number?

Are you in the US?

Rk.

Well, I said I had nothing to back it up, so yeah if everyone around them did it it might be one of them. I saw another Roberts track bike with this seat stay cap treatment, and the pinstripes as well. I can't find the bike I originally saw, just this one with similar caps with the "R". I had to wonder, you know?

http://velospace.org/node/2969

The frame number will have to wait a while, since I am going out for a while. Here's the Reynolds decal though.

Yes, in the US. Info here on GB's is nil.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267 ... 31d69b.jpg

Forkrake, lugs, geometry, and style really put the frame in the 60's. Reynolds decal has a ti Logo on it and is a later addition IMHO. The CTC transfer looks genuine though..........rather like the practice of sticking an AA badge on the front of the car, very 60's LOL

Nice frame and well finished.

Last time I saw a Geoff Butler in anger was the track squad for 1978 IIRC...........they all had them in white. Question is I wonder who made them? Woodrup?

Well, thanksfor the info!! Had no idea it was that much earlier. I can say that it is damn light!! With the Books, brass bell, and toe clips added after the pictures, it is STILL under 25 pounds. Like 24 pounds 8 ounces.

Thank you. I was quite surprised finding it. It was a little more exciting than the Tesch S-22, but I have seen them in person before. One of these? First one I've ever laid eyes on.

Back