The most ordinary 1984 Peugeot

Colin_P

Dirt Disciple
Bought this as I had one back in the day.
That day lasted for me from 1984 to about 1991.

I know these are not highly regarded and I know it is nothing special but this recent acquisition is exactly the same basic bike I had all those years ago. I couldn't resist it. It rode really nicely despite some issues I've subsequently discovered (see below)

Here is a pic of it as it stood when I got it last week.
DSCF3206_zps0ca8f613.jpg

So far I've stripped it down, prepped the frame and sprayed it satin black.
DSCF3256_zpse97c3b1c.jpg

Been polishing up all the ali bits I can. Weinmann 500's yeh!
DSCF3255_zps406f9370.jpg

I've got a few issues with as it has obviously been partly rebuilt, these are;

The crank has been swapped some triple ring shimano mountain bike thing, which when tightened fully onto the taper rubs on the bottom bracket cup! How I didn't notice this when test riding I don't know. I've got an period twin crank on its way but am worried about the clearance on the bottom bracket. Does this look ok?
DSCF3260_zps2879aa04.jpg

The rear wheel spindle is too wide, I've already done a cold set to overcome this but am again am worried about alignment issues. When the cranks comes I'll know more.

Need to aquire an 24 spline freewheel remover as well, any ideas? I want to properly clean and lube the Maillard freewheel.
DSCF3258_zps02969700.jpg

DSCF3259_zps9c2eba9b.jpg

That is it for now.

I know this bike is a basket case but I'm doing for sentimental reasons mainly / madly :facepalm:

They're great old bikes, I've recently fitted mudguards to mine for the winter

P1050586.jpg

Thanks Guru,

Some positive feedback.

Encouraging to see some newer bits bolted to yours. Mine has Simplex derailleurs at the moment, seem to remember my original bike had Hurets.

Out of interest, what chainset are you running and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

I bought the bike new around 1985 and fitted a full Shimano 1051 groupset in 1987 and it's been like that ever since.

I still have my original Simplex rear and front derailleur and a few other original parts knocking about

Oooo......

You don't have a spare 24mm seat post ;)

I wish I'd kept my original bike. Mine would be 29 years old now :shock:

Sadly I doubt that I have the original seat post, I have a feeling it was used for something else many years ago but will look later today

I had one of these for my 10th birthday - had it for ages and ages. Great little bike! I remember my pals couldn't believe I had 10 gears - it was outrageous!

New 24mm seat post on ebay but it might be worth more than the bike

Click

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Brilliant video, love the bongo drums in the soundtrack.

I know, the 24mm posts are rarer than a rare thing and cost accordingly.

Back