The Omega is complete; Long live the Omega! Weight weenie :)

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So after a good couple of years the Omega is complete viewtopic.php?f=23&t=180340 However I was never really sure whether it was going to be for me or for sale but now it is finished I have decided that I will sell it. Far too good and bling for me to spend most of it's life sat in a garage!

So browsing eBay I found this other Omega in a much more subtle blue colour. I have grown to love the purple Omega but like I said it's just to loud for me.

Plans for this one are to ride it :) (That will probably not happen as much as I'd like it to though :( ) Frame is likely to be Vitus, lugs are not as fancy, clearances are greater and paint job much plainer. Components are Athena and Record mix which are fine and will remain for now (apart from the graphite crank which is far too good condition to go on a bike that is not going to be treasured!). Not sure how it's going to progress, it will not remain as it is I know that, it may end up as a test bed or showcase of components that I develop/ trial.

First things first new tyres, white Turbo, new tape, pedals and a tune up then ride, ride, ride!!

Re: The Omega is complete; Long live the Omega!

Ok this bikes future is decided now; it's going to be a weight weenie 'ish build. Quite accidental really; I needed to sell the parts from the bike to fund the purchase :? but then of course I needed to replace the parts I sold which is where the weight weenie idea was born....

I had a Huret Success Titanium rear mech which I thought I'd use for it's novelty value, Suntour Cyclone front mech which although not particurly light I am rather fond of the design and this one is not good enough to sell. USE alien seatpost and Specialized saddle which felt reasonably light were out the spares box as were the Dia-Compe BRS200 brake calipers.

Fella came into the shop with the DA crank and bb and being a fan of DA I thought I'd slip that on there too. Cinelli bars and stem were chosen as it was the only one I had in about 100mm but although I've not done many miles yet I think it maybe a bit short.

By now the weight weenie idea was set in my head so when shopping for some brake levers I found myself choosing these DC ones not only for their looks but also for their weight (220g).

Wheels were a bit of a stickler then I recalled a Colnago I had pass through a couple of years ago with some Mavic Ksyrium's and thought I quite fancy some of them. My hunt started only to find that they were pretty far over what I want to pay, even second hand. However as luck would have it I found a cheap pair in a far corner of the net and even managed to get the seller to deliver them to me :)

Tyres, cassette, chain, pedals (I really, really need some toeclips!) were all just from the spares box and the tape was removed from a customers bike that morning (I was replacing his shifters and retaping with new! I didn't just nick his tape :D )

This is where it's at now:

The result is a very surprising 8.6kg (18.92lbs) :shock: I was hoping to get it below 20lbs so well happy with that especially as I've not really tried with it yet. I think as it's intended as a rider I would like STI type shifters on it and SRAM seem to be the lightest and they're rather neat too (double tap may take a bit of getting used to). SRAM mechs are also very light so they may find their way on there as well, if I can find some cheap enough.

I have a 135g saddle and 200g bars that are intended for it but I want to collect all the parts together and rebuild it in one fell swoop especially as I need to completely strip the entire bike to send of the frame for part of my weight loss program (nothing too exciting)...

Kind of ironic building a weight weenie when it is I that could lose the most weight! I'll probably snap every lightweight component on there with my extreme mass!

I've never built a weight weenie before....

Re: The Omega is complete; Long live the Omega! Weight weeni

Second thoughts: it looks so neat with the dt shifters I'm going to keep those for the time being, although may go for indexed as I want to eventually go 10 speed.

Back