Paul Donohue strip and rebuild - advice needed

sausagefingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Please go easy on me as this is my first road bike for 25 years and I know almost nothing about them.It's a Paul Donohue made from Columbus SLX with a mixture of Campagnolo.
I'm going to strip the bike down for much needed new paintwork as it's very rough,would like to add a bit of chrome to forks and frame but was slightly shocked at the prices so it will have to be just paint.
The bike rides spot on as it is but it really is in need of some TLC.
I'd like to go from 8spd to at least 9 spd. Is it just a case of changing shifters,cassette and rear mech or have I entered the Twilight Zone of road biking where nothing is as it seems?
Would it be possible to fit a triple chainset up front,it's very hilly where I live and I go everywhere on my granny ring :oops:
The frame number is 3272096,does this mean it's a 1996 bike?
What size headset will fit and what size bottom bracket?
They're both very rough so will replace them when I strip it down.

I'll leave it there for now as that's enough stoopid questions for one night :D

Cheers

Yes just new cassette, rear mech and shifters. Very likely new rear wheel too (8 & 9 are not interchangeable).

You can fit a triple chainset yes so you'll also need a triple front mech and bottom bracket to match. So the only part from the groupset you would not have replaced is the brake calipers :)

Headset will be 1" threaded English. Bottom bracket English, length depends on which crank you are going to use...

Ok,just one more stoopid question for the night.

So I can't just put a 9spd cassette on my wheels.
Will I need to buy wheels with Campag hubs or can I fit a Campag cassette onto a Shimano hub?

I really do know nothing :facepalm:

We all know nothing to begin with....

If you want to run Campagnolo then it's easiest to run all Campagnolo. A campagnolo cassette will not fit a shimano wheel.

If you don't like the 8 speed, find a donor 9 speed bike and swap the bits you like. Then sell what is left part by part. Good chance you will get close to what you paid for the donor bike.

errrr........looks pretty good to me :) if it's dirty then a bit of soapy water ?

My problem is that I like bikes from the 70's so that looks brand spanking new to me :D

Shaun

Midorimage":236xbdbp said:
If you don't like the 8 speed, find a donor 9 speed bike and swap the bits you like. Then sell what is left part by part. Good chance you will get close to what you paid for the donor bike.

Can't believe I didn't think of this,I've always done it with my mountain bikes :oops:

@midlife

it does look a lot better in the pictures but it's in a terrible state in reality.
There are literally hundreds of tiny chips all over the frame and forks and the chainstay is totally thrashed.I wouldn't want to put it through another winter in the condition it's in,hopefully shot blasting will remove the rust spots then some shiny new paint and it will be ok for another 20 years :D

I just can't decide what colour to go for :?

Thanks, Mick

Nice looking bike Mick, SLX tubing as well - got the makings of a very decent bike there. I'd get some additional advice on shot blasting on this one - depends on the tube diameters but the drawn sections of the tubes could be something like 0.5mm thick and shot blasting may not be that advisable? As I say, I'd seek additional advice, it could be that a chemical solution is better suited - am sure others on here will be able to add more to this.

Best of luck, oh & a vibrant blue gets my vote on the colour front ;)

Back