Mercian Superlight Project

Martin Rattler

Retro Guru

Mercian by JuanM58, on Flickr

Mercian Front by JuanM58, on Flickr

Mercian Detail by JuanM58, on Flickr

Spot your bits! This is the story so far with my Mercian project. The frame is a 1976 Superlight that is in super condition so doesn't need anything much done to it cosmetically. The main colour is bronze with gold and silver bands and contrasting lug lining. The frame was probably originally used for time trialling and with this in mind I started out with the idea of using lightweight componets, hence the Weinmann 500 callipers...but then I just started using bits that I liked the look of; so here it is with Campag aero seatpost and Brooks Pro saddle, Tange headset, GB bars and stem with Suntour Superbe levers and Simplex Retrofriction gear levers. I have a NOS Campag GS chainset, NRecord derailleur, Record front mech and Suntour pedals that I have lined up for this...although that may change as I am enamoured with all things Suntour at the moment. I need to think about some wheels although I may use those from my Pat Hanlon in the short term while that is off the road to have the frame refinished. More soon.

nice, i like the colour scheme and the shallow curve of the forks and of coarse the bars ' 76 eh what a scorching
summer!

Latest posts

Back