Identification of Vitus 979

hez

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I'm restoring a Vitus 979 wich I think, based on the components it must be from '91 to '94
The serial number is F094397
CAM00354.jpg

I'm doing a blog with all the steps of the restoration: http://ciclolito.blogspot.com.es/ (only in spanish, sorry)

It has a Selle Italia Novus Ferrari dated in 1994, 8 speed Campagnolo Record (first made in 1992), 3ttt handlebar and stem and Ambrosio tubular rims.
His old owner used to compete with an amateur team and they used to share the challenges' prizes (usually new components), so it's possible that it has several improvements.

I've been making some research and I've found that this kind of frames (Vitus 979 tubing, first made in 1979) were made until 1997, but from 1992 when the new 992 tubeset was made, they changed the lugs shape. So my guess is that it is from 1992.

I've asked to the new Vitus info (chain reaction cycles), but they've told me that when the brand discontinued, they lost all documentation... and that I should ask here.

Does anybody know anbything about the Vitus serial numbers within the Classic Era?

People of the biggest spanish forum (www.foromtb.com) told me that it must be older, somewhere in the late '80ies, but I disagree...

About the restoration, this bike belongs to my girlfriend and used to be her uncle's who passed away 8 years ago.
The bike was into a garage near the seaside for 9 years and had a lot of saline corrosion, so I decided to sand and polish all the frame, fork and components to mirror finish in order to achieve and original restoration. Originally it came in several anodized colours and polished.
I want to update only the parts that wear down: brake pads, tyres, bar tape, cables and housing.
And the purpose of the finished bike will be as an initiation bike for road cycling (not conmuter).

Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Don't know the year but I've never seen a C Record triple crank! And your blog is great, just wish I could understand Spanish!

Would be great if you got up more pictures of the build in the readers bikes section on here....

Thank you!

You can always use the translation utility in Google Chrome. From spanish to english works ok. Sorry, but I haven't time enough to translate it...

The middle and lower chanrings are not Campagnolo, but the lever is an original Record, so I don't know about the compatibility but it worked fine.
The house where the bike was is on top of a very steep hill, so I guess it was an extra in the late life of his owner (he had another newer-full-carbon bicycle in his main house.)

More pics... the saddle how it was:

CAM00304.jpg

CAM00315.jpg

and restored:

CAM00353.jpg

I glued the leather to the plastic, sanded it, fixed the holes with epoxy, sanded again, and dyed it (3 layers of dye).

Tel":ujztdlev said:
Would be great if you got up more pictures of the build in the readers bikes section on here....

Sorry, I didn't know that I had to wirte the post in another subforum, if that's your suggestion, may be you can move it. If not, I'll do it later.
Thanks.

Back