Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hello Bike dudes,

My name is Rory. I have been lurking on Retrobike for some time, perving on your bikes and buying your old Campag components. I like 1970's/1980's steel road bikes, especially tourers. I was introduced to the site by my bike-obsessive Father and Cousin, and feel that i should probably introduce myself.

I bought my first semi-resectable bike from outside J.E James while studying in Sheffield in 2009, and gradually upgraded it over time - the idea was to go full Campag Victory, but fell short of everything but the front and rear mech and a crankset which was never fitted. The bike has been a trooper and really proved itself during a 5-day ride from Liverpool to London, particularly while carrying the weight of my insanely overpacked panniers (death to support cars) up and down the Shropshire hills.

I recently acquired a very beautiful and very green Keith Coppell, which was one of a pair (my friend has the other, and quite a few other retrobikes). The KC was a bit of a wreck when i got it and need to be fully stripped - ALL bearings were stuck with solidified grease, which stinks. After stripping, cleaning, degreasing, replacing, regreasing, and rebuilding, i fitted some obligatory Brooks and brake levers with gum-hoods. The bike is full Campag Gran Sport, except headset, and i was blown away by the quality, particularly of the very small parts; bearings, cones, bb axle etc. Anyway in terms of the ride, it slays the MB Dronfield! Tighter, lighter, faster. I always thought the MB Dronfield was 531, but in retrospect i don't think it is, it was much 'creakier' and flexible than the KC. I absolutely adore the KC, it's a pleasure to ride and well detailed, but it's definitely a bit too small for me to ride any substantial distance, which sucks, so it may have to go. We'll see.

Lately i've started to take an interest in 1980's/1990's road bikes that are slightly racier: Columbus, Look, TVT etc.

That's all i have to say really! I could go into infinite detail about all of the above, but i'm boring enough anyway so probably best not to. Comments / advice / heckling welcome.

Cheers.

P.S The KC is pictured with the MB's wheels on, due to a bad crash involving a taxi.

Attachments:
File comment: Keith Coppell
reduced2.jpg
reduced2.jpg [ 400.76 KiB | Viewed 364 times ]
File comment: MB Dronfield
reduced.jpg
reduced.jpg [ 385.46 KiB | Viewed 364 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Thanks for sharing, thats a lovely Keith Coppell, as is the MB.
More pics please

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:14 am 
Dirt Disciple

Yep, very nice indeed, gotta love these old steel bikes 8)

I had a dynamo light fitted to a fork boss once as in your MB, I liked the lamp in that position :)