A bit of Orbit CX action

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
A private message can lead to all sorts of things - luckily this time it was about a frame, something from Orbit, from around 1986.

Other than wheels, I had all the parts, Deore II plus the exquisite Sugino/ Suntour/ WTB chainset and BB comination from a Kona Explosif, bars and shifters left over from the Coyote.

A car boot find gave up those magnificent MT-62 cantilevers, just about the easiest things I've set up yet I cant remember ever having had a set of these before...!

The frame had been owned from new and had various mods done over the years including and extra brace at the rear plus a rebuild for the front. The original forks had long gone after a collision.

The colour was supposed to be similar to Specialized at the time - it kinda works with the brown tape and satin parts rather than full on shiny chrome.

The ride is promising, that extra brace has stiffened up the frame. Have yet to take it up a hill yet (there are a few around here) but there shouldnt be any issues. Fork is a little shallow leaving some wheel/ toe interaction!

As always, built on a budget, all in for less than a good night out...

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• orbit 1.jpg
    orbit 1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 1,317
  • orbit 2.jpg
    orbit 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,316
  • orbit 3.jpg
    orbit 3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,317
  • orbit 4.jpg
    orbit 4.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1,415
bar tape looks good and the tyres look nice and comfy .
I remember ORBIT from the early 90's they were always paralleled with Ribble for their budget prices,
and impressive tube sets, they even built some time trialing bikes.
do you know much about them and what became of ?

Looks like it could be fun.

You need to move the front derailleur down the seat tube a little closer to the chain ring

oonaff":1lcpfx5s said:
bar tape looks good and the tyres look nice and comfy .
I remember ORBIT from the early 90's they were always paralleled with Ribble for their budget prices,
and impressive tube sets, they even built some time trialing bikes.
do you know much about them and what became of ?

The story of Orbit cycles is covered in Frank Clements book http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=JAbN ... =html_text

I found it an interesting read.

Nice build there, I like the pale green paint. Another vote from me for MT62s as well, an easy canti brake to set up plus they actually work too!

David

Back