Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:31 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rossin Pursuit Build
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 am 
Retro Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:43 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Stunning frame would love to own one. Top quality Italian frames where always painted as it will give a better finish and show off the lug work etc. I’ve had a full restoration done by Ellis Briggs, and they do a fantastic job, with such attention to detail. You can get Nick at H Lloyd to make up the decals for you to match exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:27 pm 
Dirt Disciple

TGR wrote:
Matt,

Nice work. Take advice from your frame builder about the filler (am i stating the obvious?).

Did you consider sandblasting? Quick, easy and inexpensive and i don't think it too severe on the steel.

Richard

Hi Richard,
I haven't thought of sandblasting, I think I want to work the steel by hand. Sandblasting is too easy haha.

Thanks ColnagoC59 for the decal reccomendation, i may give him a ring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:50 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Today I learned, with the help of my Russian friend, that the frame belonged to - Кузнецов - which can be seen on the frame, written in permanent marker. The name in Russian is that of Alexander Kuznetsov from Leningrad, Russia. The seller has also confirmed that this is him.

Kuznetsov has been a coach since 1964. In the USSR national team since 1985. Coach of the USSR on the track at the Olympics in 1980 and 1988, head coach of the United team at the Olympics in 1992, the coach of Russian national team at the Olympics in 1996, 2000, 2004. He has coached many world and Olympic champions in track cycling including Vyacheslav Ekimov.

Some very interesting history!

Alexander Kuznetsov
Vyacheslav Ekimov 1986, Colorado Springs on Rossin Pursut.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 pm 
Retro Guru

A word of warning...

Do not be tempted to put new filler on top of old filler, the old filler will draw the moisture out of the new filler too quick and cracks will appear at some point in the future. If you are applying new filler then remove all the old dried filler first to prevent this happening. Might be worth having a word with a local car body repair shop to find the best way forward

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 pm 
Old School Grand Master

MAtt,

The story gets better - history with the frame!! Take plenty of pics - you might be able to get the name on a decal.

Re the paint etc really you should speak to a framebuilder or restorer - eg Mercian to see what the best way forward is. Be warned that when you strip the paint the frame will be really prone to surface rust. I was warned about this when i had mine sandblasted. The sandblaster put his coat over the frames to get them to the car and said to keep them beside a radiator until the undercoat was applied. I was also told to keep them in a plastic bag to stop air getting at them.

Tread carefully Mr Bond!!!

great bike, great story and an impending super build!!!

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Nothing to add other than i'm really enjoying this thread, keep up the great work please.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

:shock: Stop stripping it.....Or am I too late. :shock:

(Note: double shock)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:33 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

I'd stop and get a frame builder to sort it its too much of a rare frame to get wrong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:59 pm 
Dirt Disciple

ColnagoC59 wrote:
I'd stop and get a frame builder to sort it its too much of a rare frame to get wrong

I can assure you I'm not planning on getting it wrong. I have a long list of professionals who will be helping me along the way. I'm am just examining and preparing the steel at the moment.

Today i have been in touch with an engineer who is looking at creating the handlebar clamps. A lot of frame builders have said they can't make those bits.

Cheers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next