Sean Yates Motorola Caloi/Merckx 650 TT frame & forks

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
Hopefully of forum interest, part of my collection, that along with my Colnago, was left at my mam's house for the last ten years. This was, as the label says, Sean Yates TT frame for Motorola from 96 up to his retirement in 98. He was writing a column in Cycling Weekly at the time and I rang up and left him a message asking if he had anything for sale (not long after the Leeds Classic, as I remember).
Two weeks later, he rings back and offers me this and a pair of CXP33/Dura Ace tub wheels for £300 all in, which I snapped his hand off for.
It is a bit battle scarred and it says something as to how bikes were looked after - I can't imagine carbon bikes soaking up as much abuse somehow these days. It did later appear in Cycle Sport magazine, when they did the Sean Yates special feature as Eddy Merckx had overseen it's construction due to Yate's slightly unorthodox proportions. I built it up around 1999 and raced it in a couple of local 25's...then stripped it and stuck it in the attic with the plan of a full DA period build at some stage.
Hopefully and funds permitting, I might get round it - if not, it's a wall hanger.

Hope you can build this up exactly as it was when Yatesy used it :) - Hang on to it

The very same! I'm in no rush to build as I'd rather hold fire (and cash) for the right bits, plus I can see the front wheel being a bit of a challenge. If anyone does have the Cycle Sport magazine the bike featured in (I think it was from 98, around the time of the Robert Millar retirement issue as I remember) and is willing to sell or scan it, I am more happy to cross palms with silver.

Fantastic frame! I saw you in no hurry to complete the bike, but if you change your mind I would be very happy to buy this frameset. I'm from Brazil - Country of origin of Caloi - and here there is none of these bikes. If interested, tell me the price so we can negotiate. Cheers.

NICE !! The front wheel I assume from looking at the photos is 650c that should not be a problem, its just finding the correct make & model of rim. Not sure if they were using Wolber rims?? you just need to do a bit of research I do hope you do manage to rebuild this, but if not not drop me a PM if you ever decide to part with the frame.

I have the impression that this is the same frameset of tour france'95. In some photos I found the Motorola team uses Specialized wheels. The photo posted on this topic is not the same bike. I keep wanting to buy your frameset sooooo much to build a beautiful bike, one of the most beautiful of his era.

Sorry for the delay in posting - snowed under with work after Christmas.

As far as I remember, Motorola secured some sort of deal to promote Caloi bikes in their last season (?) - the extent of this, judging from mine, is to paint over the words Eddy Merckx on existing team bikes and apply some stickers that say Caloi (I had to get some 3M adhesive to reaffix most of them). You cannot quite make them out but, and I guess this is down to thinness of the tubing, it is peppered with little dents and dings - it's certainly seem some action.

When I bought it, it had a very narrow spindle Dura Ace BB (Italian) and a Dura Ace headset which I think I ended up cannibalising on another ride and I rode it with a CXP 33 650 front wheel, to match the team issue rear.

As for sale - sad to say, it's staying put. Despite the bad press that seems to have been thrown up after his biography was released, Sean Yates was probably the biggest inspiration in getting me to ride a bike and I'd like to hold on to it, with the dim, far off dream of a potential rebuild.

Ok, I can understand you. Tony Romminger and Sean Kelly were my heroes and have a bike either one would be amazing. If you change your mind my email is 700x20c@gmail.com and always have interest in your bike.
I'll try to post a picture of my Caloi by Eddy Merckx in the version sold in stores (with some modifications made ​​by necessity). Thanks.

Back