Raleigh Panasonic SB5249 help

Maraner161

Devout Dirtbag
I have just bought this bike and would greatly appreciate any help with identifying its heritage.
Firstly the frame doesn't have a sloping fork crown and looks as though it has had a respray a long time ago with the red and yellow stripes decals not painted. I can see some very faint stamping under the paint on the crown but is difficult to identify what it says. The last two letters look like dy. I obviously know the groupset is of a different era but looks nice all the same.
The number hanger is a give away as a race bike but otherwise am a bit lost.

Any help would be appreciated.
Karl

Also not sure how to post photos on here so linked to previous owners photos.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGcmbZi

Number is 1982 / 83 build, semi sloping crown looks like Cinelli MC range so is period.....

Roadking on here will know more than me :D

Anything else stamped on the Bottom bracket apart from the number?

Shaun

It's rather nice, I can't help much though.

Stripes were always decals, only the white and blue was paint.

Matt

Lovely, have not seen one with this groupset, just be careful with your rear wheel choice, these were designed for a 126mm rear spacing.

Pat

I am wondering what to do with this bike as I have a joe waugh freuler frame away for restoration at the moment. I was planning on putting my dura ace 7400 groupset on it but now wondering if to put the c record group on my restored bike and 7400 on the Raleigh team bike.
any comments?
also just taken delivery of this
viewtopic.php?t=183182
Rides very nicely

Maybe should source a super record group set. May also get it resprayed over winter. The Rayner bike I have has shimano but is a team 88 bike so not going to touch it.

Back