1986 Rotrax 'Shirley' Restoration

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
Frame: Reynolds 501 SL

Fork: Reynolds 501

Headset: Tange Nova
Stem: 3TTT
Handlebar: 3TTT
Bar Tape: Ewww its not tape :facepalm: Its handstitched leather :)

Brake Levers: Shimano 600
Brake Calipers: CLB
Brake Pads: Shimano

Shifters: Shimano 600
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano 600
Chainrings: Shimano 600
Pedals: Shimano 600

Rims: Mavic Argent
Hubs: Shimano 600
Hub Skewers: Shimano 600
Tyres: Sava 700c x 23

Saddle: Brooks Professional
Seatpost: Miche

Weight: Will update

Here we go again, I can never resist a neglected classic :)

I picked this up from RBiker neuroportal who makes a dam fine blow your head off coffee :) and was very helpful with a few extra Shimano 600 bits.

I popped off an email to Rotrax and soon got a reply from Tim.

"Your frame is a "Shirley" model 72/72 deg. size 23 3/4" frame
built from Reynolds 501 SL tubing and finished in Brunswick Green"

Isn't it nice when life is made a little easier?

Its their lower end model, but I guess a lower end Rotrax beats most mid entry bikes :)

The plan now is for a proper paint job, I'm thinking Ivory, red lug lining, red cotton bar tape, new decals and amber wall tyres. Polish the Shimano 600 group to death and there we should have it :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74[/youtube]

More to follow.........

I'm assuming they called it the 'Shirley' as there shop was in the Southampton suburb of Shirley??
I used to go in there and stroke the Campag bits :D

An update :)

This fell onto the back burner for a few weeks but I've finally got it finished off, it just needs a test ride. This is the 4th set of leather handle bars that I've stitched and its getting easier and quicker, these took 2 hours. Also discovered lug lining is a lot better after a couple of whiskeys, I need to be in the chill zone :LOL:

Tim Maund at Rotrax proved to be very helpful with information and supplying new decals, headbadge and a Reynolds 501 SL frame decal. There can't be many companies still in existence that take an interest in helping out with their previous work.

I need to track down the right brake hood covers and had to make do with CLB calipers, they were the only ones that would reach!

neuroportal":2nuhwwn3 said:
Bow to the master!

I am really glad you got that off me. Superb!!

Cheers Ben :)

The Brooks saddle stayed with the Rotrax as well, it didn't look right on the Crowther. Let me know if you have anything else for a make over :)

That is bloody lovely - what a transformation and what an end result - superb.

Looks like you have the leather stitching down to a fine art - respect due on that score.

What whisky did you use by the way??? :) might get myself some if it means I get end results as good as this!

Back