Peugeot Ultima 653 Question

Balb0wa

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I had this new in 1989 or 1988 , it cost £540 at the time,i was 14 or 15 it might not look it, but i used it a lot for 2-3 years before i turned 17 and learnt to drive.

Since then it's been in the garage, i want to get back into cycling, ive put new tyres and tubes on, all is good.

What i want to know is can i put a 10 speed cassette on? i understand i will have to change the chain, but will i be ok with the front and rear mech i have?

The groupset is the standard ultegra 600 , pretty good at the time, 7 speed, 13-23 i think.

Thanks

Rob

9yl2.jpg

jiit.jpg

npll.jpg

1wew.jpg

xgu6.jpg

6giz.jpg

n8iw.jpg

h9y9.jpg

Not sure about your 10spd question as I am only just returning to the road to, but just wanted to say great buke and what good condition its all in.

Oh and on your front brake do you have a washer between the fork and the brake caliper or is it just the star shaped one as on the rear ?

Maca":3pcnrvg9 said:
Not sure about your 10spd question as I am only just returning to the road to, but just wanted to say great buke and what good condition its all in.

Oh and on your front brake do you have a washer between the fork and the brake caliper or is it just the star shaped one as on the rear ?

Cheers, it looks like the star shaped one to me on the front

mfpo.jpg

kzhm.jpg

Nice bike! I've got the pink and purple 653 athena.

As regards 10 speed, you can get most of the way there. It's a bit difficult to see from the pictures, but I suspect you have something called 'shimano uniglide' on the back. What you can do is replace the freehub body for a 7 speed hyperglide one and then you can fit 9 of the 10 sprockets on! Your rear mech will work ok - i take it you're going for sti type combined brake/gear levers? Obviously there wont be enough clicks on your downtube levers for more gears than you've got, and 8, 9 or 10 speed on friction gear levers is horrendous (but it'll physically operate, if you've a steady hand!).

Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers for that.

Your frame is virtually the same as mine and the group set is the same so I wanted to see if thay had fitted it with washers ...... I can take mine off :)

531 pro":1m9rqcsy said:
Nice bike! I've got the pink and purple 653 athena.

As regards 10 speed, you can get most of the way there. It's a bit difficult to see from the pictures, but I suspect you have something called 'shimano uniglide' on the back. What you can do is replace the freehub body for a 7 speed hyperglide one and then you can fit 9 of the 10 sprockets on! Your rear mech will work ok - i take it you're going for sti type combined brake/gear levers? Obviously there wont be enough clicks on your downtube levers for more gears than you've got, and 8, 9 or 10 speed on friction gear levers is horrendous (but it'll physically operate, if you've a steady hand!).

Good luck with it anyway.

thanks, sounds a bit more than what i wanted to do really, gear levers have changed since i last had a bike (ie on the brakes now!)

the thing with brake gears is your left with a space/hole where the old style gear levers went , its a tricky one, will have to think about it.

i suppose i could just go for say 12-25 7 speed on the rear? is that ok?

Maca":2z2b7a17 said:
Cheers for that.

Your frame is virtually the same as mine and the group set is the same so I wanted to see if thay had fitted it with washers ...... I can take mine off :)

back in the day it was a brilliant groupset , i still think its good 24 years on :D

Yep it was always the group set I wanted back when I was 15, I had mostly 105 on the bike I used and the odd bit of 600 (all used). And new 600 bits on the one I never finished.

Thats why on the one I'm building now its all nos 600, I think it looks good and works really well and at risk of getting shot down I always did think it looked better than campag stuff.

Awesome bike, not much better bang for the buck back in the day!!

I think you need to ditch the 10 speed idea and buy my Dura Ace 7400 groupset for it :LOL:

tarloone":2wl9dtfn said:
Awesome bike, not much better bang for the buck back in the day!!

I think you need to ditch the 10 speed idea and buy my Dura Ace 7400 groupset for it :LOL:

haha, i dont want to spend a great deal on it, i just want to see if i can get back into biking, ive started running and do 30-40 miles a month, just fancy a ride a few times a week.

Some hills around here, rowsley bar, mam tor, and i used to struggle like mad to get up them with a 23 on the back, i just want a better ratio for hills, i think these 10 speed cassettes are overkill , its like why do you need 20 gears?

would that work ok?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cs-hg50 ... -cassette/

Back