Help Identifying frame?

Gadge

Retro Newbie
Hi
Can anyone help I recently acquired this bike it's badged as a Brian Rourke, but I don't think it is as the rear stays do not wrap over the frame.
It's mostly Campy stuff on it including wheels, besides the shimano 600 brakes, Cinelli bars, SR crank. The stickers say 531 but all this stuff can be added to any frame.
I didn't pay much for it and will be stripping it down shortly for a much needed paint job, I was just curious to find out what it might be?

cheers Gary

Attachments

• P1010037.JPG
    P1010037.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 473
  • P1010042.JPG
    P1010042.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 473
  • P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 474
  • P1010047.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 474
  • P1010048.JPG
    P1010048.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 474
Following a quick google image search I was able to find Rourke frames without the wrap over stays but none with this style of lug cut out. However based solely on the condition of the paint and decals I would bet that the finish is original and that it is a Brian Rourke. Nice looking lugs.

Hi
Thanks for that,I did have a look and people have said that they finished off other makers frames also.
I want to have it blasted and repainted in the colour way it is but wasn't sure about putting the decals back on as i don't want to say it's something that it isn't!
The lugs are nice and I reckon it's worth doing anyway as it should look really nice when it's done.

Send a PM to Midlife or Old Ned, they seem to be well informed about old English bikes, or just wait a bit and they likely will chine in...

Hi

That's an interesting frame....braze on for the rear mech on top of the chainstay, over the BB cable guides tends to suggest earlier. The style of seat cluster is UK 80's but earlier for the continent. Can't see if the brakes are nutted or allen key. Lack of braze on cable guides again is ealier. Fork crown is not semi sloping and does not seem to match the seat cluster. Is that touch up under the down tube near the head tube......head on?

Dropouts seem "long" at the rear again pointing to an earlier frame

Style of paintwork looks after my time (which is the 70's).......

Frame looks like 70's Rourke with a typical seat cluster of his with a refurb.

Shaun

Hi
Thanks for the info..... the brakes are allen key and yes it has been touched up and even re-spayed in places ....going to get it blasted so hopefully it might reveal some frame numbers....do you think the forks are a later addition?

If the forks and rear brake bridge are drilled out for allen key brakes then that seems unlikely... Just seems a mix of frame building styles LOL

Lots of builders in the 70's and 80's had a variation on that frame but the seat stays still look like a Rourke to me :)

Shaun

Just taken the paint off the fork ends and rear dropouts and they are both campy....see what else is revealed when it's blasted!

Latest posts

Back