Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:44 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:13 pm 
Retro Guru

I was lucky enough to inherit this bike from my Cousin. It has been lurking in his garage for a few years. Its in solid condition, just some surface rust and dulling of the alloy.

My plans are to ride it, that's all. I plan to do some charity rides and some sportives, including the Wiggle New Forest 101 miler :D

I have removed the mudguards and the pump and put them in safe storage. I have changed the pedals for some SPD ones.

I do though need some advice on the colour scheme of the saddle and bar tape. I have added some yellow bar tape but not sure this looks how it should. I am due to replace the saddle for a Charge one probably in black so should I keep the bartape black to match or keep the yellow or ..............any other combination ??

Just want it to look classic 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Retro Guru

Looks good,like clubmans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:21 pm 
Retro Guru

I went on my first club ride on Thursday with some keen beginners :)

Although the ride was fun I did struggle to keep up with them especially on the hills :( :? not on the descents though :twisted: . Some of this could be down to my general fitness but I think there may be areas on the bike that could be improved. I know comparing this 'steel' frame to carbon bikes is crazy. I think somewhere down the line I may have to splash out some serious cash but I think certainly until I am a decent level of fitness the bike should perform well.

Since this picture was taken (I really should post some modern ones :oops: ) I have removed the pump and mudguards. Replaced the tyres with slick Continental ultras.

The brakes are standard centrepulls (work pretty well) the drivetrain is stock Sugino (flexy) with a 50/36 chainset and a 13/24 freewheel.

Looking at the other bikes cassettes they had huge climbing gears compared to mine and they were able to talk whilst riding whereas I struggled to breath :oops:

The wheel are original and pretty heavy and could do with some attention, so news wheels are needed. I was also thinking of a Shimano 105 groupset.

Am I flogging a dead horse ??

Should I keep it as it is and buy another newer aluminium framed bike ??

Or are there things that I can do to 'tweak' the bike and keep flying the flag for Retrobike ??

It did get a few admirers on the ride, one guy wanted to buy it :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:49 am 
Retro Guru

Black saddle and black tape is how I'd go - that yellow saddle has got to go. If you are going with a charge saddle you could get the brown and go with brown tape - brown leather would look classic.

I wouldn't invest much in the bike personally - getting some lighter tires was a good idea. I wouldn't invest in new wheels unless they are clapped out. If they are toast, then maybe you could upgrade to a more modern rear hub and get a better range of gears in the rear cluster for climbing.

Looks nice. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:48 am 
Retro Guru

dirttorpedo wrote:
Black saddle and black tape is how I'd go - that yellow saddle has got to go. If you are going with a charge saddle you could get the brown and go with brown tape - brown leather would look classic.

I wouldn't invest much in the bike personally - getting some lighter tires was a good idea. I wouldn't invest in new wheels unless they are clapped out. If they are toast, then maybe you could upgrade to a more modern rear hub and get a better range of gears in the rear cluster for climbing.

Looks nice. Enjoy.

I forgot to say I have just changed the saddle to a black charge one, and the bartape has been changed to classic black cotton tape which looks much better than the yellow :)

I think maybe some lighter wheels to replace the worn out ones and replace the gearing at the same time, and use if until I am in decent shape then rest it up for special occasions :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:40 am 
Old School Grand Master

Hills...........aargh.

I know I'll get shot down as this is a retro site but personally I'd think about getting a few year old Trek 1.2, Cannondale CAAD8 or similar. Compact gearing and light enough.

I've got a modern Alloy / Carbon Basso and on the hills the compact gearing is an absolute godsend :D

Shaun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm 
Retro Guru

Midlife wrote:
Hills...........aargh.

I know I'll get shot down as this is a retro site but personally I'd think about getting a few year old Trek 1.2, Cannondale CAAD8 or similar. Compact gearing and light enough.

I've got a modern Alloy / Carbon Basso and on the hills the compact gearing is an absolute godsend :D

Shaun

I think you are right, I have seen a few on the devil that is ebay :)

And by the time I have got a new set of wheels, changed the gears on this the costs wont be much different.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Don't get rid of the raleigh though :D

Shaun

PS Talking of hills, my avatar is me on a hill climb in the 70's. Spout Hill near Brantingham / Hull. Gear would have been 42 up front and 22 at the back..........up a 1 in 6. Those were the days LOL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
Retro Guru

The Raleigh is a keeper, it was given to me by a cousin who became too ill to ride anymore - ill just use it for special occasions and get another bike which has no sentimental value :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:53 am 
Retro Guru

FWIW that bike is already 1/2 way to a compact drivetrain with the 50/34 crankset. Get a rear cluster with a 28 tooth low gear and you'll be able to rock those hills.