1987 Raleigh Centenery Ltd Edition (gold Reynolds R531C)

Percybigun

Old School Hero
I got this off ebay last week, its a bit rusty & pitted on the gold plating, and the suede saddle needs a refurb, but the bike has not had much use and everything is all original.

This is number 72 of 100, of a ltd edition model in 1987, to celebrate raleighs 100yr centenary. They were not available for public sale, apparently 1 was sent to each raleigh dealer for display purposes.

I'm a huge raleigh fan, having grown up with them, and have had a kelloggs pro tour from new in 1988. This is the 4th raleigh road bike in my collection (kelloggs, eclipse, competion), and i have a retro raleigh MTB aswell. So i just had to buy this when i saw it. Its my favourite frame size (23.5") which is also handy!

I've weighed it and its 9.9kg.

The seller said he's had it 10yrs and never touched it.

The 'raleigh', 'centenary' and 'ltd edition' decals are all damaged. I rang H Lloyd cycles and he doesnt stock them. The font looks the same as the late 80's raleigh record sprint (red/gold livery) decals, but they are long since sold out and he says the font is difficult to reproduce. I know a local signwriter who could do it, and he could apply some gold mirror vinyl to the worst area of the frame to cover the rust/pitting - would this be sacrilege? It could easily be removed later?).

I could look into getting it replated but if i did, then i wouldnt dare use the bike! As it is now its presentable but patina'd, and i will soon have it alot tidier, and i dont mind riding it (only in the dry and away from traffic).

I'll polish up the 105 groupset (which is all still intact and in good running order), sort the saddle, fit new cables, and get the BB and headset greased shortly. The original brown bar tapes are not loose, but there are a few small chunks out of them. Is it a bad idea to replace these with the bike being rare? If i do replace them, are there any nicely gel padded brown leather tapes on the market? I suffer bad from RSI in both hands so old-school bar tapes cause me alot of grief (and can spoil my enjoyment).

In the photo's its wearing my spare wheels, because the original weinmanns are in the LBS getting the hubs greased and rims trued, and i'm waiting for a pair of michelin classic tyres (700x20, as per the originals) in the post. And I've got a new 13-24 freewheel & gold KMC chain ready to go on.

It does ride beatifully well, silky smooth and silent, and it didnt take long for me to set up the gears and brakes which all work perfect. Not bad considering its been un-used for over a decade. I think an idiotic previous owner had left it in a damp shed or garage with no protection, hence the frame corrosion, and the scuffs on the bar tapes and saddle etc.

I rode past a herd of modern cyclists earlier on, they were all gawping at my golden bike, much more enthusiastically than when i see them on my other bikes lol!

null-5.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-6.jpg

Good choice, I love these I really don't think that they have peaked in value at all. IIRC they were £1000 when new back in 1987 as far as I was aware they were available to buy but I'm no expert and my memory grows weary....

In my humble opinion I think you should go ahead with the mods you mention as long as they are done to a high standard.

Looks wise I'd go for a Brooks Swift with matching Brooks leather tape. Restore the original and keep your eye open for something similar to the original tape and keep them in a box for the day you sell it....

Yes i'll keep any bits i take off. I was thinking of getting another set of raleigh/sakae bars (the same type and size), and putting new bar tapes on, and keep the original spare. Are the Brooks tapes thick & comfy-ish?

If anyone has any other info on the Centenary, or any scans of brochures it would be much appreciated. The full spec would be useful to know. I've seen the 1987 lightweights brochure and the spec seems to be the same as the Triathlon, but with the 531C frame & forks (as per the 87 Road Ace). I've seen some pics of other Centenary's and found some info on google obviously.

I'm looking for a pair of mint black shimano 105 (BL-1050 top cable entry) lever hoods for it if anyone has any?

I'm confused with the conflicting pictures & posts!! On another thread you ask about the pedals
and is there something missing from them, yet on another picture it shows them fitted!!

Still love this type of Raleigh and only 100 was made.

An update. I've cleaned the worst areas of the pealing laquer off the fronts of the 2 main tube (there was corrosion & muck under the laquer, which when pealed and cleaned it leaves almost unmarked gold underneath!), carefully touched in the missing bits of the decals (i'm a draughtsman so it was easy to do perfectly), cleaned and polished the groupset, fitted a gold kmc chain, new cables inners & outers, resprayed the suede saddle with suede restorer paint (it looksfresher but hasnt covers the scratches), treated the leather bar tapes (i'll leave them now they look tidy), fitted new michelin classic amberwall 700x20 tyres with michelin latex tubes & new rimtapes, and got the LBS to true the rims, grease the freewheel body and wheelhubs. The wheels polished up nicely aswell. I know wheel reflectors are a bit untrendy, but to be authentic i've put them on.

There is surface rust on the frame behind the Bottom bracket, and on the tops of the forks, and some on 1 of the chainstays. I might just treat it and cover them small bits with gold mirror vinyl.

Now the bike is back on its original wheels, skewers, and cassette, its weighing in at 10.3kg.

null-14.jpg

null-15.jpg

null-16.jpg

null-17.jpg

null-18.jpg

null-19.jpg

null-20.jpg

That is looking absolutely fabulous! Personally I'd loose the campagnolo bottle ;) On this bike anyway

Definitely a rBoTM nomination right there

Back