Peugeot 653 Athena (Fully Finished 19th Aug)

Maca

rBoTM Triple Crown
rBotM Winner
Hi All

I'm new to the site so be kind :)

Back in 1989 myself and a few friends were really into our bikes. One of them had a very good team Raleigh bike that I forget the name of, the other had a Vitus. I also had a Raleigh just a 501 frame but with good bits. However I also bought a Peugeot 653 Athena frame new but only ever got it half finished before chopping it in on a Ridgeback Mountain bike.

So fast forward 25 years and I've just managed to purchase another 653 Athena team colour frame .......... I'm well pleased.

It looks to be very very good condition:

So it will deff be staying this colour. The plan is to rebuild this as a winter project once the car show season comes to an end.

I pretty much know what I want for it as I will be building it with period items, but also the items I was going to put on one back in the day.

So my wish list is as follows (and will be as much as possible new old stock):

Cinelli Stem and Bars
Campagnolo Areo Seat post
Rolls Sadle
Shimano 600 ultegra groupset
Mavic Mach 2cd rims

oh and a campagnolo areo water bottle.

Its been a long long time since I have built one of these bikes so I'm sure I will be back with plenty of questions.

I'll get some more pics up once the frame has been delivered, only thing I'm a little worried about at the moment is that its a 59cm frame, now I am 6ft1 but I do (well did) like an aggresive riding posistion so alot of seat post on show. Not sure how much I will get on show with this size but I had to have it as it looks such good condition and they don't seem to come up that often.

And does any one have some good contacts where I can start picking up the NOS items.

Re: Newbie & Peugeot 653 Athena

Hello Mate

You are doing what I am doing - buying the bike you wanted but couldn't afford 20 years ago!! Campyoldy has loads of NOS Campag stuff, I am sure the bottle was on there a few weeks ago . Prices for a lot of his stuff is better than for second had gear on Ebay. Ultegra wise I think you will just have to be patient and keep scouring websites and adds (or buy a donor bike which I have done in the past)

Good luck
Matt

Hi Matt

Yeah its funny how as adults we can't let go of things we counldn't do back as kids / teenagers eh.

Well for some one that said this was going to be a slow burn project I've already been internet shopping before the frame has gotton here. So far I have manged to buy a nos pair of ultegra brake calipers, nos headset, nos ultegra areo seat post, nos ultegra brake levers and am just trying to source the handle bars.

It must be the sun :)

Still at least it will start to look like a bike now. I had wanted the campag seat post but the frame needs a 26.6mm post and the only campag one I can find in that size is £170 and I just can't run to that ....... maybe down the road.

Bloody hell, you are nearly done!

I got bars and stem from Hilary Stone recently. NOS stem and used bars, quite reasonable.

I know ......... I'm bad I promised myself that this would be a slow thing to do over the winter, but I think the sun is bringing back to many good memories. I love the internet but hate it to LOL.

So as it stands I have now secured the following:

Cinelli Stem (Nos)
Cinelli Bars (New)
Ultegra Headset (nos)
Ultegra BB (nos)
Ultergra Brake levers, black (nos)
Ultegra Brake Calipers (nos)
Ultegra Band on front mech (used but hardly)
Ultegra Crank (used but vgc)
Ultegra seat post (nos)

Just trying to sort the rear mech and gear levers now, the saddle I want is freely avaliable new just got to decide what colour but thinking white.

Then it will have to wait for wheels and rear cassette.

I'll get some more pics up once it all starts to get here.

I think these originally had Campagnolo gears and brakes on them. My colleague at work inherited one from someone who left (lucky, lucky wotsit) and, despite missing a few original bits, it's all Campagnolo.

Yes you are right they did come with Campag as new it was the Athena group set they had.

But back in the day I just bought the frame as new and wanted to build it with Shimano as per my other bike but to a higher standard. So thats what I'm doing now.

Also can't run to the Italian tax lol, its as bad as the M tax on my BMW.

hi its got to be better than that carbolite i had years ago.and that had wicked speed and cornering . deff got a
peugeot own one thing. you say they are team colours ?

Yes its a replica of the one ridden my Robert Millar in circa 1989 while at Team Z

Altough doing some more research because I was positive that the one I had back in the day was a 753 not a 653 I've found that I was right you could get it in 753 form which I think off of the shelf built was called a corus where as this is an athena. But the one I had back in the day had no name and just had hand braised or something along the top tube.

Do be honest thou the 753 ones are even harder to come by than the 653 and I'm very happy with the one I have as it looks identicle and is going to make a great bike.

Back