The History Man

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
Ok some of you may have seen the Armstrong saga. Well this has led to a trawl of eBay and this morning went on a jolly to pic this up. 1991 Basso, model unknown. 23lb 23 ins galli brakes, bio pace chain set, shmano light action rear campag front mech, 105 levers, funky seat with built in telescopic mudguard! All working. Michelin tyres fine but maybe swap for blue treads?

Found some Basso decals in Poland so will leave as is and just tart up.

£81 collected. What do you think?

Allez, allez! :facepalm:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,006
Apparently could have been made to measure but unlikely. Don't know if the kit on it is any good but it will stay unless it fails. Do I go for blue or yellow tread for thE new tyres??? :LOL:

Not been out on it yet. Too hot for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,001
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,001
Very nice bike. Always been a fan of Basso bikes. When I bought my second road bike it was between Basso and Casati. I went with the latter because of the chromed luggs.
I'm no perfectionist by any means, and I love the mix of parts on the bike. Even though I think the Galli brakes are great (had Galli cantis on my Alan cyclecross before) I would consider something newer for more braking power, but not a must.
Didn't like the cranks and seat post too much, so would change those in time for something shiny. But all in all I'd say just ride it and replace what wears or breaks. Enjoy. :D

Thank you. As someone with a bit of a clown issue, not loving your avatar!

Just done a loop a little over 10 miles on it. 20% quicker than mtb on slicks even stopping for adjustments. Very quiet too.

Boggling! And lovely. This must have been a quality bike back in 1991. Or am I just clueless. :facepalm:

You may want to look at the chainset/rings first. Biopace was all wrong. The highs and lows are all in the wrong places.

Looks good though. You will remember my warning about road bikes! You'll never want to get muddy again.

Yer but no. Can't lock up a road bike :LOL:

What chainset would be good but cheap on here?

Back