Kahlkoff Coupe Du Monde

nickf1975

Dirt Disciple
Hi I bought this on everyone's favourite auction site for pounds - 11.50 to be exact. I expect because it's a shed by all accounts, and also that the seller spelled the listing "raceing bike"

I gather it is a Kahlkhoff coupe du monde from Germany with 10 speed, 27 x 1.25" wheels. I don't imagine it has much of a heritage or provenance but if anyone has any info, I would love to know.

I know the saying you can't polish a turd and would love "constructive" comments as to what to do with it. I can't afford to spend a lot of money but I would like to get a geared road bike up together. I have trawled eBay for 80's steel framed road bikes like the equipes which should be reasonably reliable (and in no way can I afford these fancy £1k+ bikes) etc from way back then but everyone seems to be after them and it's a bidding war.

Many thanks

Attachments

• coupe du monde.jpg
    coupe du monde.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 819
With some work that can be made to look good again. Look forward to more pic of the biuld.

nickf1975":ylidfm37 said:
Thanks spokesmann... How easy would it be do upgrade parts do you think?

All pretty standard stuff, nothing too high end here. Ebay is always your friend on builds like this. My one luxury on this fella would be a good Brooks saddle.

That brings back memories. I had one of those in 1976 to ride to school on. It was my pride and joy and had the "latest" gizmos like suicide brake levers, kick stand and gear changers on the handlebar stem. It weighed a ton but I was happy.

Hoping to strip down and respray in light metallic blue or welcome suggestions. I'd like to turn it into more of a "road" bike and add some drop bars. Also would love 700c wheels but understand there are compatibility issues.

Cheers

primed the frame today - well half of it

Attachments

• primed4.jpg
    primed4.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 582
  • primed 3.jpg
    primed 3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 582
nickf1975":173saxjm said:
Btw can I replace 27 x 1.25" wheels with 700c wheels? Thanks

You can but you'll have to replace the front brake to get the extra 4mm of drop you'll need. A Weinmann 750 will do the job and look the part.

Back