Raleigh Randonneur

joeshaw92

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I have been scouring Gumtree daily for the past few weeks to find a bike I can go touring on next year. I stumbled across an old Raleigh that had few details, and couldn't tell much from the pictures. I decided to go and have a look, and its an old Raleigh Randonneur. I don't know much about that particular model, but after I saw the Brooks saddle and 105 equipment, I realised that those alone were easily worth more than the £30 he was asking. So I paid my money and pushed it home (6 miles!).

As you can see from the photos, it is in clear need of some work doing to it, but I love a good project so I don't mind the condition its in. The spec (as far as I can tell) is as follows:

Brooks saddle (not sure which one)
Deore MT60 Biopace crankset
Deore DX FD
105 shifters
105 hubs
105 Brake levers
Shimano cantis
Mavic Module 4 rims

It seems like it'll be a really nice bike once it's cleaned (I haven't had a chance yet), the paintwork seems pretty much intact, although it needs a new set of decals. I also don't think that the fork is original, but I quite like the chrome.

It was missing a chain and derailleur, so I have ordered a contemporary Deore XT derailleur and a chain. I'm also on the lookout for some hoods for the brake levers, and plan on changing all the cables, outers and handlebar tape.

If anyone has any more information on these bikes then please let me know! And also if anyone has an idea how much it'll be worth when I finish (bear in mind i spent £30 on it!)

Cheers

Re: Raleigh Randoneeur (project)

A good buy for sure, and worthy of a sympathetic restoration: start with a good clean. Pity about the non standard fork, be worth trying to source something more suitable.

Good Randonneurs are sought after, I have an original brochure, and this model (with the chainstay spoke holders) is circa 1986/87 if my memory's not playing tricks.

As to value...a fine bike is priceless.

Roadking.

Hi guys,

Today I decided to clean up the old girl and have a look at what I'm dealing with. The bike could honestly be a pound lighter after that clean, I don't think she'd ever been cleaned in the past 25 years!

Anyway, it all looks pretty good, the chrome forks especially came out really well.

dkx5.jpg

3qiv.jpg

4grq.jpg

zk71.jpg

y6bk.jpg

gd97.jpg

ns9k.jpg

jvkv.jpg

86qb.jpg

x9v5.jpg

r5ra.jpg

However, after looking at the serial number, it is very odd and isn't like any of the other Raleigh serials online, it's: CO5283 as you can see in the last pic. Does anyone have any more info on this? It's definitely a Randonneur and not another bike simply painted as one, the spec is exactly the same and it has the spoke holders brazed on etc. I'm more wondering when it was made and where.

I'm waiting on the new parts to arrive, and I'll update this thread when they do.

PS does anyone know how to get rid of old handlebar tape adhesive?

Cheers

Congratulations on a great find and even I can see that it's worth £30! Actually, the saddle's worth more than that! I have a 1990 Royal which is very similar to this, same script on the transfers and so on, she's my tourer and when I get on it after one of my more sportier rides it's like riding around on an old leather sofa - in a good way! I am looking forward to doing some serious touring with her when I get more time.

These are great bikes and well worth a little investment to bring them to scratch. Enjoy!

Good catch :)

It's either 90 or 91, built in Nottingham.

Saddle should be a pre-softened Brooks Professional with copper rails.

roadking"...I have an original brochure said:
My memory wasn't playing tricks...I've reviewed my collection of 1980s Raleigh brochures and the Randonneur FIRST appears in 1987 in the"100 years"brochure (1887-1987).

The model that preceeded the Randonneur was the Classic 15, the Classic had a different finishing kit and half chrome stays and fork.

Roadking.

Hi guys, cheers for the responses.

Roadking, after doing a little research I've not managed to find a definitive answer as so its age or where it was built, but on another forum someone had a 1991 Raleigh with a serial starting with B, while another had a 1997 with a serial starting with H. Therefore, it seems that this is a 1992 model, I'm guessing built in Nottingham, but I've also read that these were built by the special products division, I'm not sure if they were built in the same factory.

Anyway, I'm going to fix it up considerably, while I'm not aiming for everything to be completely original, I'd like to get her looking new again. Finding a fork that's suitable is proving a little tricky, there don't seem to be many 700c forks with canti bosses and rack mounts, especially not in 531. That said, the fork on there looks quite nice and only when I need to put a rack on it will I change them. The saddle also looks to have taken a beating as you can see, however it is still extremely comfortable and I don't think it looks too bad, just aged! The wheels could also do with truing, although I'll probably take them to the LBS for a truing & regrease.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go through the restoration.

I have just been looking at the handbook and other stuff that came with my Royal. This too has a frame no starting with C and there is a card from the Special Products Division saying that it was assembled by Rex Johnson with a photo of the smiling gent in question. Another card that was perhaps attached to the frame says 60cm Royal '91', order no blah blah, Order Qty 10, Due date 01/6/92, whatever that means. This came together with a little handbook and some instructions for the Shimano gears and whatnot.

I will be interested to know how you get on with the rebuild so keep us posted!

I meant to add, well done on the clean up, amazing what you've achieved with that tin of elbow grease and a little care!

The Randonneur was assembled, if not made and assembled in Nottingham. The only other plant Raleigh had in the UK was in Ilkeston (this is not an Ilkeston frame).

My earlier point was correct in that this model was introduced in 1987, I do find the Raleigh numbering system full of anomalies, one Raleigh I have that does not conform to the numbering system is a Lightweight Unit Corsa in Oyster bought new in 1984 (by me), and only available for that year in that colour.

I am sure that you'll be able to buy a new fork with canti bosses, the Randonneur fork would have had bosses for a lo-rider, how often would you have used them?

Perhaps you should now be thinking of your first tour?

Roadking.

Latest posts

Back