Old bike to restore - origin unknown

GUNNER PT

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I found this old bike in a relative's bark:

2013_06_30_14_46_00.jpg

2013_06_30_14_42_49.jpg

2013_06_30_15_38_25.jpg

I think that some parts are missing and others were changed along the time.

Can someone help me to identify this "model / construction year" so I can search for the original scheme?

I belive that this bike have something like 50 years ...

Tks :D

I'm not sure but I guess rod operated brakes were phased out in the early 1960s or 1950s. I remember seeing plenty around at the time, but not sure when manufacture was stopped.

Nice example, might even be 1940s :D

GUNNER PT":2t6knmgo said:
Hello,

I found this old bike in a relative's bark:

2013_06_30_14_46_00.jpg

2013_06_30_14_42_49.jpg

2013_06_30_15_38_25.jpg

I think that some parts are missing and others were changed along the time.

Can someone help me to identify this "model / construction year" so I can search for the original scheme?

I belive that this bike have something like 50 years ...

Tks :D

I was wondering ...

This bike it's in Portugal ... and his original owner was not a rich person, so I belive that this model wasn't too expensive at the time ...

Is there any chance of this bike has been built under the Raleigh label? I read on that blog (urban adventure league) that "Phillips became yet another badge in the Raleigh hierarchy, one pushed to the bottom of the pecking order", so it can be from the 6o's or later?

Tks :)

This is almost definitely not a Raleigh built one they would have had cable brakes by the 60's. I think this is an original Phillips circa 40's/50's :D Nice find :cool:

Some inspiration for you

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakGDj5XXE8[/youtube]

Here's one I made earlier :)

A 1956 Dunelt Gents Comfort Sports. Rod brakes went on well into the late 60s. Not sure why, they don't really do anything :)

My 1974 Raleigh Superbe has rod brakes , and I'm sure they were still around upto the last days of Nottingham made roadster , at least for the export market.
Phillips , like BSA , sold there own branded parts to other bike manufacturers , so Phillips handlebars on a bike dosn't make it a Phillips bike .

Robbied196":306ssr3d said:
Some inspiration for you

WOW ... great job man, congrats.

But, in my bicycle there's more than one or two parts missing :oops:

chipper":306ssr3d said:
My 1974 Raleigh Superbe has rod brakes , and I'm sure they were still around upto the last days of Nottingham made roadster , at least for the export market.
Phillips , like BSA , sold there own branded parts to other bike manufacturers , so Phillips handlebars on a bike dosn't make it a Phillips bike .

:(

So it might be from the 70's?

Guess I'll have to search for "Popular Special" and not for "Phillips", right?

Back