1978 Raleigh Stowaway

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Time to start a thread for my R20 project.

I can't perfectly recall how I decided I wanted to build one of these, but I think it began with me researching when Pirelli last made tyres for bikes. Having found the last ones they made appeared to be cream 451 tyres made for a Raleigh Twenty, I then got looking at the Twenty. I had a brief look around at what people had done with them and read Sheldon Brown's praise of the frame and thought I quite fancied building up a folding bike based upon it. While they were available NOS, I thought I'd pick up a pair of the tyres off Bankrupt Bikes on Ebay:

Pirelli+tyres.JPG

One of my friends was also looking for a bike to learn to ride on and a foldable Stowaway seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I managed to pick one up in very good condition on a cheap BIN on Ebay:

R20.JPG

However, as it transpired she didn't get time to sort learning to ride before going on holiday to Vietnam, which was the plan. It seemed a bit of a waste to split a nice condition bike, but since I have it I intend to use this frame and possibly forks, for my project.

To solve the classic Raleigh Twenty bottom bracket issue, I intend to try using a Mavic bottom bracket - I have a couple around I can try, but may need one with a longer spindle. This led me to decide I will aim to build it up with French/European parts. Colour wise, I'm thinking of having it powdercoated a metallic purple, to complement the cream tyres, and then using a combination of silver and gunmetal colour parts, using brushed/satin finish parts where possible.

I think this is most the parts I've picked up so far:

R20+Parts.JPG

First I bought a couple of Pelissier hubs and separately bought some P1001 quick releases to go with them. I will need to cold set the frame and the forks if I decide to use the originals to fit the larger OLDs.
I also got a 5-speed Maillard freehub, as I intend to set it up with simple 1x5 gearing.
I picked up some cheap unbranded alloy 451 rims, which are pretty light, have a brushed finish and seem good enough.
I'm going to need at least a 400mm seat post, so I picked up the Handsome Dog one as the sandblasted finish is great.
I wanted the bars as they will give me multiple hand positions very similar to the bars with separate bar ends that came as standard on my Specialized M2. These are made by 3TTT and a glossy gunmetal finish.
I also wanted a 300mm metal pump to fit on the frame to replace the plastic one it would originally have had, but they seemingly aren't that easy to find. I had a search around and found an average quality one on ebay.it, but the postage would have made it way too expensive. I fancied a classic Zéfal pump, as I remember those from the late 80s and having checked their website the MT 323 sounded perfect. Unfortunately, this is one of the few in their range that isn't imported into the UK. I messaged the importers and they said they may be able to get one as a special order, but would have to go and place the order through my LBS and it might take some time and be pricey, so instead I continued my search and found a online shop in France (Rue du Vélo - http://www.rueduvelo.com/)who stocked them and were happy to ship to the UK. The shipping was very reasonable and arrived in a couple of days! So I was pleased I went down this route and would heartily recommend Rue du Vélo.

I might have some other parts for it I've forgotten and there are more in the post.

I'll start filling in the spec sheet now and update it here as I go along:

Frame: 1978 Raleigh Stowaway

Fork: Ishitawa Chrome

Headset: Ofmega Competizione
Stem: 3T Forge Ahead
Handlebar: 3TTT Integrated MTB bar
Bar Tape: Cinelli cork

Brake Levers: Shimano R550
Brake Calipers: Dia Compe BRS 202
Brake Pads: Dia Compe
Brake Cables:

Shifters: Suntour Index Control
Front Derailleur: n/a
Rear Derailleur: Sachs-Huret New Success ARIS
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Maillard 5-speed Freehub 14-17-19-22-26
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: EDCO Competition
Chainrings: Campagnolo 57T
Bottom Bracket: Mavic
Pedals: Xpedo Traverse XCF08MC

Rims: Unbranded alloy 451s
Hubs: Pelissier
Hub Skewers: Pelissier P1001
Nipples: 12mm brass
Spokes: British made 14g stainless steel plain gauge
Tyres: Pirelli
Tubes:

Saddle: Specialized Toupe Expert 143
Seatpost: Handsome Dog Lite Stik
Seatpost Binder: Original Raleigh

Bottle Cage: n/a
Extras: Zéfal MT 323 bike pump

Weight: 12.15 kg / 26 lb 13 oz (including original stand and Mt Zefal pump)

Any comments welcomed, even ones along the lines of "Why on earth do you want to build up a Raleigh Twenty?" and "That bike doesn't deserve to be in this section/on this forum".

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: 1984 Raleigh Stowaway

Thanks gavr, I've happily read through your thread, you did an excellent job on yours - how tall are you btw?

It's got me reconsidering what colour I go for - I was intending a nice purple metallic, but now I'm tempted by a few other options.

How do you find the 50T chain ring with the SRAM hub? By my calculations I really need a 68T chain ring to get the ratios I want with the cassette I have. So far, I haven't found anything bigger than 60T though.

My current plan is to re-thread the original forks 24 tpi and use them, but I am also considering these as an alternative:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-1-FORK ... 5d40eb253e

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm 5'9 or so. You can see from the picture below that It's possible to get a very similar position to a road bike despite the completely different geometry. It's actually really comfy.

Obviously you can't get the same gear ratio as with a 700c wheel but the SRAM with the 50 and a 19 on the back is pretty good for the flat

Attachments

• IMG_3619.jpg
    IMG_3619.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 6,406

Cool, thanks. I'm a bit taller, but I've been comparing it against my Specialized to give me an idea and I think I'll be able to get quite a usable geometry.

Just got brakes this morning:

qP0GJIlLBxv1wCmWygv7ytOmlTRfesJqkMCU8vIs0ng=w1051-h788-no

They're the older style CLB ones which should allow me to route the back brake from below. They look to have just enough reach too, though I've not tried fitting them yet.

It's stripped down and many of the original parts were sold on ebay, so I've already more than made my money back.

The fixed cup, however, is refusing to budge, so I'm just waiting for Dan to pick it up and attack it at his workshop. Then I can chamfer the bottom bracket shell and take it to be powdercoated.

Though I'm still idly considering finding out how much it would cost to get brake bosses brazed on, as the rear brake just doesn't have enough reach by the looks of things. I could build a little extension bracket though as an alternative.

I have everything for the wheels, but they haven't been built yet. I thought about giving it a go myself, but wasn't sure these would be ideal for a first attempt.

That rear light is fantastic! I might have to investigate that further :)

Hopefully further updates in the near future!

Thanks to DanD, the fixed cup has been removed :D :

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5377.JPG

Next jobs are to chamfer the bottom bracket shell for the Mavic bottom bracket, cold set the rear spacing to 123/126mm (I can't remember which the hub is off the top of my head) and the front fork to 100mm, and rethread the steerer on the forks to 24 TPI. I'm still tempted to try a different fork instead of the original, but I'm not sure. I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390711145989? ... 1423.l2649

$(KGrHqZHJEsFEP+okNh3BRI5OTo+t!~~60_12.JPG

Any opinions on which fork would be the better option?

Latest posts

Back