Raleigh Gran Sport 1982

Rustyretro

Devout Dirtbag
Raleigh Gran Sport with original paint (touched up in quite a few places)
Came with terrible bright blue bar tape and Shimano 105 brakes, so took them off for another project and put Campag GS calipers back on. Still got to track down some brake levers, but nearly everything else except the wheels is original. Quite pleased with the saddle which I recovered with some leather from a sofa which was being thrown out!

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,482
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,482
  • photo 1 (5).JPG
    photo 1 (5).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,482
That looks very nice indeed. Put up a close up of the saddle if you get a chance. I'm considering re-covering one of mine.

N

nathanm26":2n780nig said:
That looks very nice indeed. Put up a close up of the saddle if you get a chance. I'm considering re-covering one of mine.

N
Here are a couple of close ups of saddles I've done since. I don't think I've quite got the technique right for stretching the leather around the nose of the saddle yet. The leather one is a cheap, plastic Brooks B18 and the Selle Tornado was in a sorry state. I used the same leather with the suede side up.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,396
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,396
Looks good to me!

Any tips for a 1st timer then? I'm assuming the nose is the most difficult part?

N

nathanm26":2g9h70s3 said:
Looks good to me!

Any tips for a 1st timer then? I'm assuming the nose is the most difficult part?

N

I used these instructions as a guide:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... ycle-seat/
I didn't use staples as it suggests. I found that just using a good spray contact adhesive works well and is less unsightly.
Take care removing the old leather as it will probably be stuck hard to the foam which you can use again. I used a Stanley knife blade to shave the leather off the foam.
Stretching the leather around the nose you'll find that there is a lot of exces leather that gathers up - keep stretching.
Best of luck. It would be good to see a photo when you are done.

Back