Dave Lloyd bike.

maranello48

Retro Newbie
Hi all!

I'm new to here, and to road bikes in general.

I picked this up off my dad - all I know is that it was bought new by my dad about 30 years ago. It was a custom made frame.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maranello48/9075475267/

I was wondering if anyone could shed any more light on it, as when i took it to the local bike shop for a service, it had been sat around in a shed for about 20 + years, they seemed pretty impressed.

A few things i have noticed -
The handlebars have 'giro d'italia' stamped in.
The wheels are not as old as the frame, they were replaced after one buckled, although the bike shop suggested the replacements were hand made?

Thanks!

Maranello48

Dave Lloyd was a pro racer who retired due to health reasons and then started frame building, I can't put a date on when his business started, but a quick google search will find that.

Dave is still about, but no longer builds frames.

As far as I know, all his frames were hand made and of good quality, so you have a nice machine there, but I'll leave it up to the experts to date it and identify all the parts.

Nice bike, enjoy!

I believe so. I've certainly never heard of it being repainted. There's the odd chip here and there, and quite a large mark from the wheel buckling, but in general it's in good nick. I'll get some more pictures at some point this afternoon.

Back