The Flying Scot

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Not a train but my latest build and although ive a few road frames now this one im actually going to get built :shock:
I also never ever thought id ever be posting in this forum let alone starting a thread on a build.
It must be the aging process at work :shock:

Picked it up on ebay a couple of days ago and the seller is going to drop it off.
Its a flying Scot but the frame number/model is not available yet so its actual year and type arent known to me.

25" and in pretty poor condition, certainly i overpaid for it but if its not terminal then it could prove to be a worthwhile project for me to undertake. And being at the bike station will help out in finding and buying the parts needed.
Im lucky the forks are there with the original headset(no idea as yet), a fair bit of rust which i hope isnt meaning its fubar inside
A pic or two for now

fatfixie":1tjaugit said:
Which bike station do you work at ?

Andy

Glasgow.
Not to be confused with any other bike station outside of the 3 in our wee group. Them being Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth.
I gather its an oft used name
Heres the website.
http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
---------------------------

Well it has arrived. :?
This :? is all about the oddest seller ive encountered, just cant figure out if he is a rider,collector, general businessman type or what. He apparently knows a few people i know of in the old roadie game but hadnt heard of people i know to be involved :? Very weird.
As expected the frame number is hard to decipher. It could be I52 though the I looks more like a 1 and the 5 could be a 6 which would confuse things further as the nervex lugs are i think numbered as model 162
:shock: At this stage im still pretty much in the dark. Though it is a fs for sure.
Stated as 1959 but the forks which are the same colour are im sure 57 or 58 ,Certainly the fork crown is '58 pattern.
The dropouts are odd also in that they look like the campagnolo and also the Modified Simplex Rear. The fork dropout according to the web is cyclo (195:cool:
The frames have the drilled through for the tension adjuster(all new things this road game :LOL:) but the simplex didnt feature that, only the campag and the Zeus(Spanish maker)
At some point the mech hanger looks like it was cut off
The seat stay bridge is correct but the additional one for the brake stop(?) isnt a usual feature. It is featured on some of the frames ive seen (earliest being i think about 1956) but its all lending to the confusion im facing .

Condition as present-
A bit poor tbh with lots of rust spots and the paints hasnt survived to well Given the amount of old bikes ive seen its been stored in a shed for probably a good 10 years.
That said the rust that is in larger patches and in critical areas like the stays is not bad and i quickly brought that back to bare metal using only some 180 grit and literally a minute's rubbing. the big patch on the top tube is much the same and sanded back pretty quickly
Havent touched the BB yet and i think it best i take it to the BS incase i need a loan of some proper BB tools. Plus the 3 or so long term managers/mechanics employed by us.
The headset came apart pretty easily but inside though undamaged wasnt looked after and the bearings wil need replacing. Thankfully the races are ok,its a part id like to keep on it even though theres better and lighter out there.
I'll take it into b/station ant remove the BB today ill p[op out the headset cups at the same time.. From there ill strip it completely except for one section.
On the seat tube is the 'The Scot' decal and it is my intention to mark a rectangle around it and strip back to that point. the reason for this is in Professional restoration it is good practice to leave some of the original finish somewhere so future restorers can match it if it is to be brought back to original colour(We dont really own them, just holding them a while ;) )

I feel i could talk about this all day so i best leave it at that :oops:
Some pics tonight i think .

;) K

The reason I asked is I helped to set up the first one in Edin. My mate Steve Hynd who you probably know looks after the Edin one now. I popped in to see him last week whilst on hols and bought a few nice retro bits :)

dyna-ti":3kdebsaf said:
fatfixie":3kdebsaf said:
Which bike station do you work at ?

Andy

Glasgow.
Not to be confused with any other bike station outside of the 3 in our wee group. Them being Glasgow, Edinburgh and Perth.
I gather its an oft used name
Heres the website.
http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/
---------------------------

Well it has arrived. :?
This :? is all about the oddest seller ive encountered, just cant figure out if he is a rider,collector, general businessman type or what. He apparently knows a few people i know of in the old roadie game but hadnt heard of people i know to be involved :? Very weird.
As expected the frame number is hard to decipher. It could be I52 though the I looks more like a 1 and the 5 could be a 6 which would confuse things further as the nervex lugs are i think numbered as model 162
:shock: At this stage im still pretty much in the dark. Though it is a fs for sure.
Stated as 1959 but the forks which are the same colour are im sure 57 or 58 ,Certainly the fork crown is '58 pattern.
The dropouts are odd also in that they look like the campagnolo and also the Modified Simplex Rear. The fork dropout according to the web is cyclo (195:cool:
The frames have the drilled through for the tension adjuster(all new things this road game :LOL:) but the simplex didnt feature that, only the campag and the Zeus(Spanish maker)
At some point the mech hanger looks like it was cut off
The seat stay bridge is correct but the additional one for the brake stop(?) isnt a usual feature. It is featured on some of the frames ive seen (earliest being i think about 1956) but its all lending to the confusion im facing .

Condition as present-
A bit poor tbh with lots of rust spots and the paints hasnt survived to well Given the amount of old bikes ive seen its been stored in a shed for probably a good 10 years.
That said the rust that is in larger patches and in critical areas like the stays is not bad and i quickly brought that back to bare metal using only some 180 grit and literally a minute's rubbing. the big patch on the top tube is much the same and sanded back pretty quickly
Havent touched the BB yet and i think it best i take it to the BS incase i need a loan of some proper BB tools. Plus the 3 or so long term managers/mechanics employed by us.
The headset came apart pretty easily but inside though undamaged wasnt looked after and the bearings wil need replacing. Thankfully the races are ok,its a part id like to keep on it even though theres better and lighter out there.
I'll take it into b/station ant remove the BB today ill p[op out the headset cups at the same time.. From there ill strip it completely except for one section.
On the seat tube is the 'The Scot' decal and it is my intention to mark a rectangle around it and strip back to that point. the reason for this is in Professional restoration it is good practice to leave some of the original finish somewhere so future restorers can match it if it is to be brought back to original colour(We dont really own them, just holding them a while ;) )

I feel i could talk about this all day so i best leave it at that :oops:
Some pics tonight i think .

;) K

Sorry for the rather late reply FF :)
Sorry, im only aware of the Glasgow mob. Ive been with them since mid 2011 but not really played a big part. Ive been asked if i want to do the velotech and train a mechanic but im not really that into doing that type of thing this late in the day, can do pretty much it all i pressed into it but id rather not be responsible for someone elses bike. I prefer to scrap and that way separate the older retro and better quality bits and put them aside (for myself??? how dare you :LOL:)
Actually , i cant see the point of putting a good mech that would sell for £50 on a bike that will be sold for £120 Best we keep them aside and sell them via ebay or the like and bring in funds that way.
We've some nice campagnolo bits and it looks like ill be the one buying them all :oops:
Took some more pics but im not not further forward. Ill hopefully get some paint stripper today and have it back to bare metal for a long job of steel wooling the steel before a quick coat of undercoat to protect it from oxidizing again.

Attachments

• The Flying Scot (1) (Small).JPG
    The Flying Scot (1) (Small).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 888
  • The Flying Scot (7) (Small).JPG
    The Flying Scot (7) (Small).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 888
  • The Flying Scot (4) (Small).JPG
    The Flying Scot (4) (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 888
  • The Flying Scot (5) (Small).JPG
    The Flying Scot (5) (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 882
fatfixie":21appvma said:
i'd be getting it media blasted myself to ensure all the rust is gone. Then maybe a good powdercoat... :)

andy
Its 1958 and probably 531 :? personally i think media blasting a little too harsh and ill give plain old time consuming ,messy as hell stripping.
I was going for powder myself but was advised not to because those lovely lug detail would be lost so a top paint finish is required.
Also hoping for original style decals . Varnish on was the suggestion :?

First colour choice could be maybe red main tubes/stays with all the lugs in white and a coach line around the detail of the lugs to pick them out, maybe gold for the line maybe not. undecided at this stage.

a good powdercoat would prob be ok if youre happy with single colour. media blasting with soda or walnut shells are very gentle

see seller gts753 on ebay- he has hundreds of repro decals... would prob do some for ya

Andy
andy[/quote]
Its 1958 and probably 531 :? personally i think media blasting a little too harsh and ill give plain old time consuming ,messy as hell stripping.
I was going for powder myself but was advised not to because those lovely lug detail would be lost so a top paint finish is required.
Also hoping for original style decals . Varnish on was the suggestion :?

First colour choice could be maybe red main tubes/stays with all the lugs in white and a coach line around the detail of the lugs to pick them out, maybe gold for the line maybe not. undecided at this stage.[/quote]

Back