1954 Claud Butler 'Coronation'

Tom D

Dirt Disciple
Hey everyone!

I've owned a Holdsworth era C.B for a couple of years now and love it to bits, but I've always wanted a project bike.

So I flicked through Gumtree and found a 'possible 1950's or 1960's Claud Butler' for sale not too far from home for only £15. Immediately decided I was buying it there and then!

So I drove over the next day, bike looked as rusty as it did in the advert, I had a quick look over, Brooks saddle, Miller dynamo (retro-fitted) and a lugless frame which I thought was cool for a C.B. the one thing that really stood out to me from underneath the surface rust was a little decal which said 'Coronation Model'

So I shoehorned it into the back of the fiesta and drove home, unloaded and got some pics.

After a bit of research, I found out it is a 1954 Coronation model, 3-speed. I've found incredibly little information on these bikes (just nkaligriff!)

Does anyone have any more information on the Coronation model? I've only seen a snippet from the 1953 brochure and I've not seen another on here either!

Cheers!

I might do a full resto, only problem is, I've looked everywhere for replacement decals and I can't find any for the coronation.

The other option is that I clean up the frame a bit and re-chrome replace all the formally shiny bits. Quite like the aged look of the frame!

Hi, nice project, looking forward to seeing it complete, a long way to go, get the plus gas out first. As far as decals http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ is the best bet and ring him, he may have that coronation one. Below is the cat page from the 1954 one. Good luck Terry.

Attachments

• cb_coronation.jpg
    cb_coronation.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,354
Fifteen quid! :shock:

Amazing machine, looks completely original, and the 3 speed version too.

Best of luck with the build.

It was hard to pass it up at that price.

Yeah it's a complete bike which is even better. It all looks original except for the added dynamo and it has a Brooks B15 which I don't think was standard.

Pretty pleased with how it's cleaning up. I'll get some pics up tomorrow!

Dynamo and lights look very period, so it just looks like it is ready for the road... 1950's style.

Right, I messed up a bit!

I was removing the cottered crank arms and didn't realise how soft the pins were so ended up wrecking the thread on one of them as I hit it out from one side.

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of cotter pins? They don't seem that common! I'm guessing there's a standard size pin too?

Cheers.

Tom D":lmbazpl8 said:
Right, I messed up a bit!

I was removing the cottered crank arms and didn't realise how soft the pins were so ended up wrecking the thread on one of them as I hit it out from one side.

Does anyone know where I can get a pair of cotter pins? They don't seem that common! I'm guessing there's a standard size pin too?

Cheers.

Standard 3/8" cotters are easily available from ebay, about £1.50 for a pair.

Awesome, just purchased them so should arrive soon.

That wasn't so bad after all. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back