Australian Patina

Slow6

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Something completely different.

1970's Speedwell GTS.

I found the frame on gumtree is a sad state and had a little fun with the build.
It reminds me of the pile of bikes in the corner of the huge shed on my grandads farm when I was a kid.
A mix of 20" and 27" old dragsters and 50's roadsters all in shabby condition. The first job of the school holidays was to make a working bike from whatever was in the pile to get around on for the next few weeks. Every year it was a different monstrosity, one year all I could manage was a frame that was way too big so that I had to mount it by climbing a fence and dismounting was more of a controlled crash than a dismount. Well worn coaster brakes was a common theme with most of them as I remember.

Anyway.. this thing is a homage to those wonderful days, wet gumboots, the smell of sheep shit and long weeks of two wheeled freedom in the country.

It might look like it's about to shake apart but it's quick, quiet and the lights even work.

Re: Some Australian Patina

Great view into history, nice bike :). Seems like a lot of fun to ride it. Stupid question maybe, but what's the function of the 'spring' on the seatpost? Reinforcement?

That's amazing. Lovely photos too, I like the gothic 'rescued from the graveyard' theme.

Johnny

Sounds like you had a great time at your grandparents house as a kid. Your story reminds me of when I decided I needed a second bike as my Tour de France that I bought second hand for £4.00 from the Glasgow Barras was too good for doing and foolish cycling on. So a tour of the village woods found numerous old bike frames and components which were gathered up and taken home much to my mothers disgust. A few days later I was the owner of my bitsa ike which I couls thrash down grassy hills, take across fields and leave outside in the rain, what great fun it was

Thanks chaps :) I wasn't sure how this would be received here.

The spring is a hite-rite. A tip of the hat to the retro mtb'ers but with the added bonus of returning my saddle to where I like it after a short arse (loml) has been on it.

47p2":1uscl3hw said:
Sounds like you had a great time at your grandparents house as a kid. Your story reminds me of when I decided I needed a second bike as my Tour de France that I bought second hand for £4.00 from the Glasgow Barras was too good for doing and foolish cycling on. So a tour of the village woods found numerous old bike frames and components which were gathered up and taken home much to my mothers disgust. A few days later I was the owner of my bitsa ike which I couls thrash down grassy hills, take across fields and leave outside in the rain, what great fun it was

:D :D :D

Great photos, and a fantastic bike too. Is that a Shimano 600 crankset?

unusual but nice bike...I like the pics have they been photoshopped?

Rich34":1hlkh6pf said:
Great photos, and a fantastic bike too. Is that a Shimano 600 crankset?

Thanks and well spotted. lovely crankset but I'm dreading the job of finding a replacement chainring for it.

chambo34":3lvncx64 said:
unusual but nice bike...I like the pics have they been photoshopped?

HDR.. Three photos at different iso's and then through photomatrix.. I know HDR has been done to death but it's a new toy for me and it seemed to suit this bike.

Back