A Gios Torino Super Record from 80s Photos part 1

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
A Gios Torino Super Record from 80s!! OK before you all start, I know it should have a Campagnolo Super record groupset fitted BUT I wanted to show this a with the very rare Dura Ace AX 7300 Groupset only made for a couple of years 1981-84. With the Delta Style brakes & Aero Brake Levers (were these the first?). Also this groupset had the strange hubs that were all laced from the inside to the out & you can only build these one way. (see the photos) The rear gear is a real strange piece of kit. Believe it or not but its Indexed, & needless to say it doesn’t work (or at least I can’t get it to bloody work) So I assume Shimano couldn’t get the bugger to index either as all the later index gear systems had the indexing in the gear levers & not the rear mec. This also has a 7-speed cassette hub. (very early days for cassette hubs). Pedals with toe straps now that’s a novelty on a road bike now days. Anyway I hope you enjoyed looking back at some of this old ground breaking kit that pioneered the way for the stuff we use today.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,628
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,627
A Gios Torino Super Record from 80s Photos Part 2

PART 2 The rest of the photos of the Gios Torino Super Record from 80s

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,626
THAT is brilliant... :shock: If you'd described it without providing pictures I wouldn't have thought much of it, and would have thought (as you said) "should have had Campagnolo". But it's great to see something different, and that is very different indeed.

Those coin-topped Gios forks are so classy...

Look forward to part 2!

Rich34":2vaewbp5 said:
THAT is brilliant... :shock: If you'd described it without providing pictures I wouldn't have thought much of it, and would have thought (as you said) "should have had Campagnolo". But it's great to see something different, and that is very different indeed.

Those coin-topped Gios forks are so classy...

Look forward to part 2!

Thanks Rich.
The second lot of photos are part 2. Its just that I forgot to say this in the post (doh). Yes the old Super Record groupset is as common as muck & it amazes me the prices that people charge for it. It's not like its difficult to find. I've had this Dura Ace AX groupset kicking around for ages & was waiting to get hold of the right frame to use it on (gear cables over the top of the B/B). I 'd been after an early Gios for ages (missed one on here a few months back) & finally picked this one up last week in Germany. I personally think that it's just as important to preserve the older group sets (not just Campagnolo) as well as the frames thats why I used the D/A Ax on this bike, plus there are loads of them about with Campag SR on. I'm glad you liked it.
cheers
Chris

Brilliant stuff! And as said before: just great to see another different group set than the nowadays oh-so familiar SR groupset! I love the mechanics of the front derailleur!

Flandria":86q0g9v0 said:
Brilliant stuff! And as said before: just great to see another different group set than the nowadays oh-so familiar SR groupset! I love the mechanics of the front derailleur!

Hi Flandria.
Now that bike of yours I do like i love the decals & the lug lining.
A real lovely piece of kit.

Stupid question I know but how did you get so many photos up on the first link because I could only up load 8. it refused to allow me any more?

Chris

stringfellow1946":nm0z2mh6 said:
Flandria":nm0z2mh6 said:

Hi Flandria.
Now that bike of yours I do like i love the decals & the lug lining.
A real lovely piece of kit.

Stupid question I know but how did you get so many photos up on the first link because I could only up load 8. it refused to allow me any more?

Chris

Thanks for the nice words on my bike!

For the pictures: actually I don't know :). I've uploaded all of them on tinypic and then pasted the image-links in a new post... I didn't got any message when I added more than 8 pictures.

Probably there's to much awesomeness in your pictures to hold in one post ;)

A very nice and interesting combination. I happen to have the same group and a beautifull Batavus Professional frame. They would look awesome together, BUT the frame has its routing under the BB :( This makes routing to the rear mech very difficult.

That grouppo looks incredible, such brave engineering. Even the downtube levers look so neat with the flush bolt. Totally agree with your comments on groupsets - my father demanded I rode european when I was young so ultimately campag has dominated most my bikes, but there are so many gems out there - parts of ofmega's mistral for instance. Love the pics, but we need some more of the components!
Why did Shimano stop doing stems?

Back