Newby with a Dyna Tech

Sayda.Deshe

Retro Newbie
Hi All
Thanks for taking the time to review my 1st retro build which TBH has been very enjoyable, even so that I’m seriously considering another build very soon.

Purchased the bike 2nd hand back in ’97 as a complete stock bike, it was a bit tatty, but rode it for a good number of years until a new family meant weekends weren’t spent out in the hills of the Peak District.
The Dyna Tech was put to the back of the garage until recently when we moved house, I picked her up & was just about to throw her in to the skip, when something stopped me....

The last few months have been spent scouring the internet for NOS parts and frame decals & skinwall tyres & bolt replacement kits, what fun I’ve had.
Wasn’t able to find any “original” frame decals (the small hand written style Raleigh logos) so wasn’t able to do an authentic restoration, so decided to do an “up-dated” period rebuild. Don’t think the MTB style logos would fit or suit the smaller diameter steel tubes.

The frame was prepped and re-sprayed professionally in Metallic Anthracite colour (I soon got fed up with looking at colour swatches & chose the colour on a whim) also had the rear drop-outs set to 130mm wide so new wheels could be added rather than trying to find 127mm rear hubs. Had a dark grey Raleigh transfer added to give the bike some identity & they managed to salvage the head badge for me. Couldn’t for love nor money find a Reynolds 2060 Tube transfer.

The rebuild was pretty easy from there on in as most of the parts were off the original bike, just degreased & cleaned & re-furbed where required. Bought some NOS period parts & added some hand-made wheels to boot.

Below is a spec list as she currently stands, just want a bolt kit for the 105 brakes & I’ll replace the newer 5600 models. Please feel free to comment or ask any questions about the bike or any problems I found with the build...... & before someone says, yes I know the grass wants mowing  :)

Frame : 54cm Raleigh Dyna Tech 600 Reynolds 2060 tubing (1990 I think)
Chainset : Shimano 105 53/39 – 170mm (NOS)
RD : Shimano 105 SC SIS
FD : Shimano 105
BL : Shimano 105 Aero (New Hoods)
BR : Shimano 5600 (will swap out soon)
Shifters : Shimano 105 braze-on (8 speed friction)
Cassette : SRAM 870 12/27
Chain : SRAM 870 8 speed
BB : Shimano UN51 Square Taper
Headset : 1” Threaded Tange
Bars : 3ttt Competizione 40cm (NOS)
Stem : 3ttt Podium 100mm (NOS)
Bar Tape : Velox Cotton with Shalak finish. (couldn’t do the twine finish)
Hubs : Ambrosio Zenith 32R/28F
Rims : H Son TB14 Grey, Velox rim tape
Tyres : Veloflex Master 22s
Spokes : DT Swiss Comp Stainless
Seat Post : 3ttt Fluted 27.2mm (Refurb)
Saddle : San Marco Rolls (bought back in ’94) (pic shows Turbo)

I’ve enjoyed this project so much thinking of another build, may be Italian, may be a Rossin Ghibli, Somec or may be a Concorde Squadra with full Campag Record. Would probably have to sell the Cervelo S3 to fund it though, might not be a bad thing because this twenty odd year old Dyna Tech has won my heart again & it gets many a fine comment in a Sunday morning.

Thanks for again for reading....

Attachments

• DynaTech-1-.jpg
    DynaTech-1-.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 877
Glad you didn't skip it!

You've done a stirling job of restoring it. Looks great. More pictures wouldn't go amiss.

I look forward to seeing your next project :)

Looking good and nice to see another Dyna Tech. Your restoration was a lot more sympathetic to the original than mine was. I have to say it looks great!

N

lovely bike! Ive just renovated a Dynatech 725 titanium. just put the finishing touches on it tonight. Im looking forward to getting out and riding it at some point. Nice bikes, although theres quite a bit of flex in the frames, especially the bonded ones (they were possibly all bonded). anyway, its not about me, its about you, so well done. I too would like to see a few more pics...

That looks great.

I'm just gathering parts to build up a 2070 of the same age as yours, I only hope mine turn out half as nice as yours. :cool:

Thanks for the comments guys, it's much appreciated.

I'll try and post more pics over weekend, may be not Sunday as we'll be doing our usual Sunday hack through the Peak District I'm really enjoying riding the DynaTech.

I don't mind the "flex" makes it a more comfortable ride & I view at releasing stored energy :D

nathanm26 - was looking at your build the other night, it looks good, the white with green is a more modern twist on the original Dyna
Tech colourways. With I think a little "fixie/cycle courier chic" thrown in :D

I'll look out for more of your pics in the forums to take some tips from you guys & ask some questions.

Very nicely done, it looks very smart indeed, plus 1 for some more pics too. If you still fancy a Dyna Tech 2060 badge you should contact Greg Softley at Cyclomondo who has produced some to forum member Kettlo's design. It isn't the hologram original but it is pretty damn close. I have found Greg to be most helpful with my Dyna Tech restoration so worth a try. The decal to which I refer is among the Castorama/Super U set towards the bottom of the page on the link below.

http://cyclomondo.net/page20.htm

Martin

Thanks for the tip Penfold6290... I've checked out the link & dropped Greg an email so we'll see where it takes us.

How did you find your build? Did you encounter many issues to get your bike to such a high standard?

Whilst writing does anyone know if there would be any major problems using current Shimano brake spares on the older 1055 callipers? I personally don't think so & would imagine that the adjustment screws etc would fit?

Thanks for any advise.

Attachments

• 20130525_150651_resized_1-2.jpg
    20130525_150651_resized_1-2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 712
  • 20130525_145837_resized-2.jpg
    20130525_145837_resized-2.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 711
  • 20130525_150743_resized.jpg
    20130525_150743_resized.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 712
  • 20130525_150829 (1)_resized.jpg
    20130525_150829 (1)_resized.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 712
  • 20130525_151531_Richtone(HDR)_resized.jpg
    20130525_151531_Richtone(HDR)_resized.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 712
  • 20130525_150711_resized.jpg
    20130525_150711_resized.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 712
  • 20130525_150633_resized-2.jpg
    20130525_150633_resized-2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 712
Sayda.Deshe":1izc7w6b said:
Thanks for the tip Penfold6290... I've checked out the link & dropped Greg an email so we'll see where it takes us.

How did you find your build? Did you encounter many issues to get your bike to such a high standard?
I'm sure Greg will sort you out, just be patient as the mail from Oz was slooooooooow! The paint work is superb, love the colour and the sparkle of the paint is fantastic!

I found the basis for my build at Hilary Stone as a complete Dyna Tech 600, it was in very nice condition as it was but the intention was to strip it and use the frame as my Castorama build from the outset. I have Argos Cycles to thank for the quality of the paint and the way they expertly applied Greg's decals. Finding all the correct bits was a mixture of good luck and lots of time spent on the web. Most came from Ebay, the wheels were a lucky find in France and I did get it wrong a few times with things like bar tape (got the wrong Benotto tape from the USA for example) and the 3TTT Podium stem (some people are careless with their descriptions of critical sizes). Otherwise once all the parts were in my possession the build took hardly any time at all. The Delta brakes are a pain in the arse to adjust, the rear wheel needed to be re-dished to get it to sit in the frame correctly and the BB was a sod to fit as Argos hadn't been over careful when cleaning the threads out.

I am not over impressed with the quality of shifting from the C Record RD, the Athena RD on my other Raleigh is far superior. I guess that's the difference between a component that was designed to index from the start as opposed to one that was designed before indexing was introduced.

Martin

Back