Thanks for taking the time to review my 1st retro build which TBH has been very enjoyable, even so that I’m seriously considering another build very soon.
Purchased the bike 2nd hand back in ’97 as a complete stock bike, it was a bit tatty, but rode it for a good number of years until a new family meant weekends weren’t spent out in the hills of the Peak District.
The Dyna Tech was put to the back of the garage until recently when we moved house, I picked her up & was just about to throw her in to the skip, when something stopped me....
The last few months have been spent scouring the internet for NOS parts and frame decals & skinwall tyres & bolt replacement kits, what fun I’ve had.
Wasn’t able to find any “original” frame decals (the small hand written style Raleigh logos) so wasn’t able to do an authentic restoration, so decided to do an “up-dated” period rebuild. Don’t think the MTB style logos would fit or suit the smaller diameter steel tubes.
The frame was prepped and re-sprayed professionally in Metallic Anthracite colour (I soon got fed up with looking at colour swatches & chose the colour on a whim) also had the rear drop-outs set to 130mm wide so new wheels could be added rather than trying to find 127mm rear hubs. Had a dark grey Raleigh transfer added to give the bike some identity & they managed to salvage the head badge for me. Couldn’t for love nor money find a Reynolds 2060 Tube transfer.
The rebuild was pretty easy from there on in as most of the parts were off the original bike, just degreased & cleaned & re-furbed where required. Bought some NOS period parts & added some hand-made wheels to boot.
Below is a spec list as she currently stands, just want a bolt kit for the 105 brakes & I’ll replace the newer 5600 models. Please feel free to comment or ask any questions about the bike or any problems I found with the build...... & before someone says, yes I know the grass wants mowing
Frame : 54cm Raleigh Dyna Tech 600 Reynolds 2060 tubing (1990 I think)
Chainset : Shimano 105 53/39 – 170mm (NOS)
RD : Shimano 105 SC SIS
FD : Shimano 105
BL : Shimano 105 Aero (New Hoods)
BR : Shimano 5600 (will swap out soon)
Shifters : Shimano 105 braze-on (8 speed friction)
Cassette : SRAM 870 12/27
Chain : SRAM 870 8 speed
BB : Shimano UN51 Square Taper
Headset : 1” Threaded Tange
Bars : 3ttt Competizione 40cm (NOS)
Stem : 3ttt Podium 100mm (NOS)
Bar Tape : Velox Cotton with Shalak finish. (couldn’t do the twine finish)
Hubs : Ambrosio Zenith 32R/28F
Rims : H Son TB14 Grey, Velox rim tape
Tyres : Veloflex Master 22s
Spokes : DT Swiss Comp Stainless
Seat Post : 3ttt Fluted 27.2mm (Refurb)
Saddle : San Marco Rolls (bought back in ’94) (pic shows Turbo)
I’ve enjoyed this project so much thinking of another build, may be Italian, may be a Rossin Ghibli, Somec or may be a Concorde Squadra with full Campag Record. Would probably have to sell the Cervelo S3 to fund it though, might not be a bad thing because this twenty odd year old Dyna Tech has won my heart again & it gets many a fine comment in a Sunday morning.
Thanks for again for reading....