Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Hi Chris.
I love the colour scheme on yours. What type of paint :?: not water based for a start :!: :?

The transfers that came with mine have dried out {SAV} .I have e mailed a link via the Kirk site to no avail.I do not think Lloyds stock them. Any ideas?

I think Frank Kirk thought out the box on this one..."This is a bike, but not was we know it." :roll:

IMHO a true design classic.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
Retro Guru

This is the guy you need to contact http://www.linkedin.com/pub/simon-haydn/14/365/78 I think he is a busy guy & he can take up to 2 weeks to reply, but he does know all there is to know about the KIRKs.
Mine is original colours as I got it, all I have done id fit the Dura-Ace groupset & built the wheels & put the bike together.
If yours is the original paint thenI would leave it & just fit the decals. I will PM you

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
47p2 wrote:
That's an amazing frame, reminds me of the metal plate between the two kitchen sinks where the mangle clamped onto :shock:

Kirks apparently have the nickname "Black & Decker Workmate" in some circles! As for the original posting, the choice of a Sachs drivetrain gets a big thumbs-up from me. Classy French kit in the Mavic 840/862 mould, only a lot more durable.

David

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Well on Bank Holiday Monday I took along 4 bikes to the Rolleston on Dove {nr Burton on Trent} transport Festival
Which I have been attending for the last 3 years.
One of the 4 was my Kirk and in terms of interest it stole the show from the other 3,many even thought it was white painted Carbon fibre :shock:
The others been my..
Hetchins {as seen on Retro bike of the month last year.}
Paris Galibier.{ditto}
Sunbeam Golden Road Racer.
Here is a link to previous shows.This was my 1st.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 050922069/

If you live in the Burton area and would like to bring a bike or bikes next year please pm me and i will forward you the organisers details.
It is a well run, mixed transport show and very friendly.At present there are only two of us displaying bikes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:59 pm 

Hello :) I do the occasional google search to see if there is any mention of my Dad's bikes and came across yours. Sadly as far as I know there are no original decals available and I should imagine that even if there were they would have deteriorated. I think that there are some companies that can recreate them though if you have a good enough photograph of one. The very first prototype of the bike was modelled on our dining room table using that special red coloured oil based clay. My sister and I used to spend ages sticking it in the microwave and making morph models out of it, didnt go down well! I always used to think it looked like an iron girder! But it was a great time for our family and we all enjoyed being part of it. If I can be of any further help then please shout.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:10 pm 
Retro Guru

/\
what a great post, provenance and family history, I wish Ernesto Colnago's son would write on one o'my threads

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am 
Old School Hero

It's a great-looking frame, a worthy project indeed and nice that the Kirk family are interested.

I remember seeing the frame on the BBC's Tomorrow's World programme, they did a flex test on some kind of rig against a steel frame.
The Kirk was solid as a rock, the tubed steel frame was flexing like wet spaghetti - they claimed that the stresses on the frame were the same as those exerted by a pro cyclist.
Went on to say that they thought this was the future of the bicycle - I wonder how many times that's been said?!

I think I am right in remembering that the frame is magnesium, and that enough magnesium to make the frame could be extracted from a cubic metre of sea water?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:38 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Well it is finally finished bar decals which I am going to have custom made . link here to loads of pictures . http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 512740012/

Spec of components is included in pictures. 8 years in the making :facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:02 pm 
Retro Guru

NICE, Great to see a different Groupset used. WELL DONE My friend.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:49 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Kirk frames as solid as a rock...... I had a revolution till after 6 months it went pop as the drop outs came loose, warranty replaced and then another 6 months pop, the bottom bracket shell fell off.