Carlton Pro, Nuovo Record tt Project

Loctez

Dirt Disciple
Been lurking on this forum a while but have decided to contribute by sharing my next project whilst hoping to get some advice too!

So, recently a chap in our club was getting rid his turbo slave steed as he was lacking space. Being a kind gent he was giving it away for free. I jumped at the opportunity and picked it up.
When I got home I realized I had something special. A Carlton Professional with pretty much full Nuovo Record. The bike is, however, in poor condition and resides in a bodged time trial setup for training.

0BB14FDC-3711-4180-A899-13F8A9AD563A-1047-0000014C9F267D50.jpg

Here she is as a brought her home. Full spec is as follows:
- Carlton Pro 531 frameset that is very rusty and shows signs of sweat corrosion on the top tube.
- Campagnolo Nuovo Record groupset. Shifters are da with a modern Ultegra bar end shifter however and the bottom bracket is something else but runs incredibly well. Cranks are running 54, 44 rings with a 13-18 TT 6 speed block.
-For the hoops we have a mavic open cd rear with a gator skin. Front is a gl 330 with an unknown tub. Both running smooth and true.
- Other parts get funky now; TT cockpit with profile airwings and some modern cheapo clip ons. FSA Slk carbon seatpost (wtf?) with a genesis saddle.

More pictures:
4B7A7C74-5C1E-4243-90FA-115A70E4A0CF-1047-0000014CA96B785E.jpg

E1059848-A636-4F56-9760-20A14C1FBD1A-1047-0000014CB07CFB5E.jpg

2CDC2A67-CBAE-4E1C-82B8-FEC979DD4AB6-1047-0000014CB6130A3A.jpg

0767BE13-B0A0-46EE-968B-0071E223519E-1047-0000014CC49E148E.jpg

F95B167D-F112-4ADC-A780-C7265F51526C-2749-000003BC68538280.jpg

As you can see this needs some serious work done. Currently stuck on getting off the top tube cable clamps. The fixing screws are rusted up good and proper and both the circular nut and bolt rotate together when you try and losen them. Any tips?

3A8B400F-50E0-4790-9008-D329D70823CE-2749-000003BC7C85CAC1.jpg

Not sure what to do with this. In the near future I may get this professionally restored as the paintwork needs serious attention. For now, I will try it out as a TT machine. Just need a longer stem (anyone have a 130mm qui they want to sell for cheaps?). How is time trialling in a steel frame? Would I be better using my canyon ultimate al with clipons and junior gearing?
Thanks for looking!

Nice hand-me-down :)

Nice frame. Silver Lustre so the Carlton-Weinmann team colour for the late 70's. Drilled dropouts for portacatena, Prugnat long point lugs and Cinelli MC Fork crown I think and looks like a Ti included in the 531 decal so original IMHO. The square Carlton decals also period. I guess it has slots cut out of the BB as well. Wonder if the pedals are Pro-Ace? The Rear Mech should have the date on the top after "Pat."

We sold them for £90 in 1978 (less 10% discount for Hull Thursday Road Club Members) which was a lot of frame for the money BITD.

They also ride well but no contest for a Canyon aero LOL

Well worth blasting back to bare metal and re-finishing, silver was not a popular colour despite it being the Team finish so may people have gone for something different.

Wonder what the frame number is?

Cheers, with a hint of jealousy.........

Shaun

Yes this does have the slots cut into the bb shell. Afraid cannot get to the bike at the moment so will get back to you on the numbers!
I have thought about painting it differently but I want to keep it authentic. I never really liked the mink blue and silver of the other professionals but love this scheme. After all could be easier to just copy what's on there. For now I don't have the time/funds to respray but I am worried about how rusty it is. Any ways I can stop this corroding any further? I was thinking a bit of varnish on the rusted parts.
Oh and I am pretty sure the pedals are not anything special. They have no markings and look/feel a bit cheap but I could be wrong.
Thanks!

Once rust is there it needs to be removed or it will spread - covering it up won't help (much).

easiest method would be to get a rust converting product such as Jenolite or Kurust that attacks the iron oxide and converts it into a protective layer of either Ferric Phosphate or Ferric Tannate depending on the product used (turns the rust blue/black).

As for the cable clamps - the easiest solution may well be to use a dremel cut-off disk to carefully cut the head off the bolt (or cut through the nut if that's easier to access) then pick up a replacement stainless nut & bolt.

How about a dirt cheap blast and silver powder coat.....from a couple of feet no-one will know :) Flog something off the bike to fund it, at least it will have sorted out the rust...

I think Carlton chose silver as Viking and Falcon had blue bikes in the group (sorry Peloton) at the time :)

Shaun

Been thinking that, sounds like the best route to go down. I was thinking of selling the front gl 330 rim and tub to then rebuild the hub with a cd or open pro to match the rear, could have a bit money left over from that if I sell the carbon seatpost too. Any idea of where to get the decals for this or will I have to make up my own? (I have decal design and printing facilities at my collage)

http://www.hlloydcycles.com/index.htm

AY9 CARLTON down tube transfer. The later version in white/black blocks. 191 x 26 £3.20 C
AY10 CARLTON vertical seat transfer. Later version in vertical White/black blocks 198 x 34 £3.20 C
AY27 CARLTON vertical fork decals. Smaller version of AY10. Price PER PAIR 100 x 16 £5.50 C

LLoyd Cycles should do the decals. :D or from evilbay...

Shaun

Wow! Than you very much, looks like a good resource. I think AY24 is the headbange I am looking at too. Will be a while before anything gets done, I have exams to get through first.

Back