Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm 
Dirt Disciple

fossala wrote:
When I apply my front brake, my fork "flexes" is this play in the headset or just the fork. How could I check?
Cheers.

You may need to tighten the headset a bit more, I had a similar problem that was resolved that way. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:29 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hey Fossala,

Maybe as TGR & Alex said, try to tighten a bit the headset and also check a bit the brake calipers. Hope this helps you out.

I also check the headset as TGR said, apply the front brake when stationery and move back and forth.

If the problem persists try to also send us a few pics.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:50 pm 
Old School Hero

I've got to go shopping as I'm home alone at the moment and have to fend for myself (misses away). Will try and sort it out when I get back, won't be able to test it though as the weather is awful and I've had a long day at work.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:47 am 
Old School Hero

OK, looking at it, seems to be a loose headset. There seems to be a gap between the lower part of the headtube and the headset. I'll get on it tonight, cheers guys.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:44 pm 
Retro Guru

Apply the front brake, and turn the steering through 90 degrees. Try rocking back and forward - if you can feel movement still it's the headset.

The paint is a special green brew and contains mica so appears to change colour as the viewpoint changes. Nissan did an almost identical colour as a special edition on the Primers GT (I had one and can't remember the colours.name for the life of me). The paint is hideously expensive, over £200 litre even back then. When my car was damaged by some stupid fat old hint in a parking prang the paint was actually delivered to the body shop securicor! Honest to God.

Edit - I've remembered, the paint was called Mystic Green.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I bought these brakes and transferred the hoods which fit well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390584519171? ... 1439.l2649
If you want a saddle this is pretty close to the original I fitted one of these to my competition:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Suede-Roa ... 337d472ec4
here is what mine looks like with them on after renovation
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=242899

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Chopper1192 wrote:
Apply the front brake, and turn the steering through 90 degrees. Try rocking back and forward - if you can feel movement still it's the headset.

The paint is a special green brew and contains mica so appears to change colour as the viewpoint changes. Nissan did an almost identical colour as a special edition on the Primers GT (I had one and can't remember the colours.name for the life of me). The paint is hideously expensive, over £200 litre even back then. When my car was damaged by some stupid fat old hint in a parking prang the paint was actually delivered to the body shop securicor! Honest to God.

Edit - I've remembered, the paint was called Mystic Green.

I tried to recreate this with paints from custom paints. The sample was very similar to the original and it recommended a black base coat and suggested other colours can give different effects. As the original base was red I used red and got a totally different result. By that time it was too expensive to start again, so I have a two tone, irridescent red/gold bike now. Looks good, but not like the original.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 am 
Old School Hero

Rustyretro wrote:
I bought these brakes and transferred the hoods which fit well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390584519171? ... 1439.l2649
If you want a saddle this is pretty close to the original I fitted one of these to my competition:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Suede-Roa ... 337d472ec4
here is what mine looks like with them on after renovation
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=242899

Thanks for the links, where did you get your decals from?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:11 am 
Dirt Disciple

I got the 'Raleigh' and 'Competition' decals made up specially from jamiecurry@hotmail.com for £10 for two sets. The seat tube and 531 decals were from http://www.hlloydcycles.com/

I look forward to seeing the finished bike.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:28 am 
Retro Guru

Location: The Lovely Lincolnshire Wolds and by the sea in Sussex
These Lightweight Unit Raleighs (identified by the"W"prefix to the frame number) are very underrated and therefore undervalued (especially the 531 and 501 throughout models).

My advice would be, where possible, to restore the frame to original and again, if possible rebuild with either original or contemporary (-ish) components. For example my Lightweight Unit Raleigh Corsa (1984 and owned from new) was upgraded in 1986 with a Shimano 600EX groupset.

Longer term these currently underrated framesets and bicycles will ascend in value and perhaps (price-wise) will be where SBDU bicycles are now.

There's a prediction!

Roadking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next