Another 'Another Raleigh Castorama' Part Finished Build

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
You don't see one for a while, then Retrobike is flooded with them, so here's my offering.

It's taking some time this build, partly due to brake cable outer cables getting delayed, and partly because the rear mech I bought is a piece of shit and not as described in the ad!!

I am therefore still on the look out for a C-Record Gen 2!!

Anyway, here it is, 1990 Raleigh Castorama team frame ex Thierry Marie. It's got some odd geometry so it will be interesting to see how it rides in comparison to my other bikes. Respray was done by Cyfac, the original builder of the frame. In 1990 Thierry was in yellow for Stage 1 of the Tour after winning the prologue, so is this frame the one? Who knows, good story though.

I also include a pic of my Mercian Lugless so you can appreciate the difference in geometry (seat tubes same on both)

Matt

Attachments

• Castorama Part Built.JPG
    Castorama Part Built.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,206
  • Mercian.JPG
    Mercian.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 1,203
Very nice indeed Matt, I can't wait to see this one finished, have you seen Richie's thread regarding Campy pearl brake cable outers?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=254660&p=1909493#p1909493

Apart from the crappy mech that you got from Wales, what other bits do you need? I can vouch for the used RD that Nigel Scott has, you may be able to strike a deal with him.

Cheers, Martin

Looks good, although these castorma raleighs are becoming quite common! :LOL: Nothing wrong with that though - one of my favourite bikes from BITD and I wouldn't mind having one now either!

I have a second gen C-record rear mech in the for sale section, it's not mint though - someone with more time and skill than me might be able to remove the scratches quite well but I can't guarantee it.

Andy

hi Matt,
as you know I think you can never have enough Super U/Castorama bikes around!

that is one nice job on the paintwork, Cyfac have done your frame proud.
it's making me think that I should be considering a refinishing of my battered Jean-Claude Garde frame. I have to say that I do like the patina that it has though, decisions, decisions....

my frame is 57cm, and the geometry is the same as yours - interesting!
the seat tube is so slack in comparison to the head tube that you find yourself laid out flat, just like M. Fignon.
it's very "aero" in and old style way, and against my personal rules (saddle as far back as it will go and stem right down) I've ended up pushing my saddle forwards to halfway on the rails, and I've raised the stem by around 2cm - however, I do have a 135mm reach stem, paired with SR Road Champion bars and their very deep drop.
now I'm used to it, and the bike is my daily ride so it's not taken long, she's very comfortable. If it's a bike you'll ride infrequently, I wouldn't suggest 100 miles straight off the bat!

can't help you with the rear mech I'm afraid, mine are all spoken for, and will you be putting a Turbo saddle on instead of the Rolls?

let me know if you'd like a cable outer set,
Richie

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
bigfatron":3v33drol said:
and will you be putting a Turbo saddle on instead of the Rolls?

Richie

Should it definitly be a turbo saddle. In any of the pictures I have of Fignons bike I cant see any branding on the saddle at all. It just looks to be plain black....I have a turbo, I have a Rolls and I have an Iscaselle black saddle....which one to mount. (not the rolls I suppose)

Stephen

kettlo":2wg4zzst said:
bigfatron":2wg4zzst said:
and will you be putting a Turbo saddle on instead of the Rolls?

Richie

Should it definitly be a turbo saddle. In any of the pictures I have of Fignons bike I cant see any branding on the saddle at all. It just looks to be plain black....I have a turbo, I have a Rolls and I have an Iscaselle black saddle....which one to mount. (not the rolls I suppose)

Stephen
I don't think they were Turbo's. I am sticking with Rolls though, after 25 years riding them my arse will not appreciate anything else.

Matt

Penfold6290":17mifkmp said:
Very nice indeed Matt, I can't wait to see this one finished, have you seen Richie's thread regarding Campy pearl brake cable outers?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=254660&p=1909493#p1909493

Apart from the crappy mech that you got from Wales, what other bits do you need? I can vouch for the used RD that Nigel Scott has, you may be able to strike a deal with him.

Cheers, Martin

Cable purchase from Richie arranged, I bought some white ones but they look rubbish against the pearl finish. More expense!

Back