Chesini Criterium

bikenut2010

Senior Retro Guru
My current obsession with Chesini found another candidate, this one will go to a new owner ...when I'm happy everything is sorted, I'll list it for sale.
So far: stripdown, new callipers, wheels, headset, tape, cables.
Sun was a bit strong for my cheap camera ( the paint is lovely sparkle metallic which doesn't show up in these shots...) so I will upload better pics later.

Frame: Chesini Criterium 54
Groupset: Shimano 105
Wheels: Ambrosio Elite on 105 hubs
Brakes: Modolo race
Bars: Modolo
Tape: Benotto tricolore
Stem: Cinelli 1A Pantografata
Seatpost: ITM
Saddle: Rolls ( will be sold with Vetta gel )
Pedals: Shimano 105.

Attachments

• Puple chesini1.jpg
    Puple chesini1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 890
  • Puple chesini2.jpg
    Puple chesini2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 890
  • Puple chesini3.jpg
    Puple chesini3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 890
  • Puple chesini4.jpg
    Puple chesini4.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 890
  • Puple chesini5.jpg
    Puple chesini5.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 890
  • Chesini Criterium Bars.jpg
    Chesini Criterium Bars.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 890
That's nice - out of interest is it blue or purple? I took pictures of my Gios with a phone in the sunlight and the Gios blue came out a similar colour in the photos to your Chesini... :shock:

Cheers - it is, and using modern kit was a bit of a revelation too... The compact crankset is great after several months out of the saddle. Need to balance it out with some miles on a 42/52 just so that my legs don't think I've slackened off completely. Or moved to Holland.

Rich34":3uv2g049 said:
Cheers - it is, and using modern kit was a bit of a revelation too... The compact crankset is great after several months out of the saddle. Need to balance it out with some miles on a 42/52 just so that my legs don't think I've slackened off completely. Or moved to Holland.

I don't like Compacts, I stuck one on a Nag to get over Dartmoor but 50 front and 13 at the back sees me spinning air on descents, and it's such a big drop to 34 I can never find a good gear unless I'm grinding up Haytor Rock :(
I did a longish run on the Chesini today: 52/42 and hardly shifted at all, stuck it on 14 /15 at the back and dropped to the 42 for the odd hill, simple is good, I get confused with more than 9 speed!

I know what you mean about the gears at the back - last time I was riding lots of road miles I was on a Specialized with a 7-speed block. 10 feels like a bit more than I need to be honest and I spent far more time fiddling with the shifters than I used to. I suppose noticing the difference between 14 gears and 20 is inevitable and much as the compact and smooth modern gear is comfortable in my current unfit state, I do find riding the older bikes feels "right" too.

Agreed, there's a lovely bit of YouTube footage of 2 old riders filmed in the 80s looking at new 7 speed steelies at an event and commenting 'in my day 4 was plenty!'

you see more than a few 11 speed chains popping on the big tours too...B)

Back