HI, new guy. Here's my ride

steelframesteve

Retro Newbie
I had been scouring the internet looking for a 90's steel frame racer for a while and mentioned it to my brother at the end of last summer and he says, 'I've got one in my workshop!'
My brother bought this new in 1992 for £500!! that was quite a lot of dough back then. Certainly more than I could blow on a bike. Life took over and a new baby, house move etc meant that he never put more than 500 miles on it. It has languished in his workshop unused for 20 yrs so now i have it. it's still in great shape. just a tiny amount of rust on some of the chrome. For those that are interested, it is a Holdsworth Professional. Hand crafted reynolds 531, it has full Shimano 10 speed 105 groupset including hubs, a Cinelli stem and a surprisingly comfortable Vetta suede seat. The great looking gunmetal rims are from the now defunct Wolber as are the lovely old whitewalls but they are in a dangerous condition as you might expect. unfortunately I can't find any decent whitewalls so ive put some vittoria rubino's on it and as it turns out I like the all black look with the rims. Nothing mindblowing, but a really nice decent spec light-ish early 90's ride. And I can't believe that a bike of 'exactly' the criteria that I was looking for was right under my nose all the time. All I've had to do is a quick clean, new bar tape, oil the chain, new pedals, tyres, tubes and brake cartridges/blocks. I'm a happy man but the seat is not quite as comfortable as I first thought.

my ride by holloway steve, on Flickr

Untitled by holloway steve, on Flickr

Untitled by holloway steve, on Flickr

Very nice indeed - bit of good fortune has done you well there. Nothing better than finding a bargain! Looks a very decent bike, get some miles in. If you sell the saddle give me a shout :)

Back