'94 Concorde Giro - Campagnolo euqipped road bike

Eddy Krei

Dirt Disciple
Welcome to my retro dream bike open project where everyone can contribute! :)

All began recently, when I sold my "new school" fixie. I decided to join retro steel lovers, because in my opinion owning a good steel frame set with chrome parts is comparable to owning a 1960 year Mercedes with chrome details. And the best thing is - they don't make those anymore.

05/06/2013 - The bike has finally left the bike shop and here are some sneak pics:

20130605_153515 by Eddy_Krey, on Flickr

20130605_153633 by Eddy_Krey, on Flickr

Better pictures will follow as soon as I manage to organise a photoshoot.

Frameset - Concorde Giro
Groupset - Campagnolo Athena/Chorus mix
Wheelset - Campagnolo Mexico 89
Bars and Stem - Cinelli
Seat - Selle Italia Turbo
Pedals and toe-clips - Shimano Ultegra

Opinions and critics are welcome.

BR,
Edvards

Re: Concorde Giro project

I know that there are 2 catalog scans available on this site, but there is no Giro model in anyof them...
Seller advised that it came with high profile Mavics (on the way from ebay) and Sachs New Success 8 speed group set, which is impossible to find.

I've seen 3 Sachs groupsets sold in the last 2 weeks for not too much money

A really nice frame. Some people say that Italian steel should only sport Campag. They may be right as both do look beautiful together and a nice period correct Athena groupset shouldn't cost you the earth if you wanted to go that way. Have a look at the other forum members bikes for a bit of inspiration and keep checking the for sale threads. Good luck with the project.

I can only support the notion that fine Italian steel (such as a Concorde) should have an Italian group on it. However, many Concorde frames were built up by local bike shops with varying groups back in the day. Mine for example, a Concorde Classic from the early 90's, still has its originally mounted group on it: Shimano EX500.

So really, what it comes down to is personal preference... Well, that, and budget :)

Hmm, it's a bit tatty with random era parts. I would probably pass on this. Another idea would be to find a donor bike that has most if the parts you would want for the Concorde. There are a few unfashionable frames out there that have great parts hanging off them that go for relatively low amounts. You can then sell on the frame and any unused parts to offset the original cast. The road eBay and market place forum on here is quite helpful and you can always post links to any treasure you stumble across that is unsuitable for you but may be helpful to other forum members ;)

LDP":1l3loqrf said:
Hmm, it's a bit tatty with random era parts. I would probably pass on this. Another idea would be to find a donor bike that has most if the parts you would want for the Concorde. There are a few unfashionable frames out there that have great parts hanging off them that go for relatively low amounts. You can then sell on the frame and any unused parts to offset the original cast. The road eBay and market place forum on here is quite helpful and you can always post links to any treasure you stumble across that is unsuitable for you but may be helpful to other forum members ;)

Thanks, after few thoughts I did pass on it.
If i decide to make my bike multicultural and purchase a Shimano group, should i look on - 600 or 105?

Eddy Krei":2fs5039u said:
LDP":2fs5039u said:

Thanks, after few thoughts I did pass on it.
If i decide to make my bike multicultural and purchase a Shimano group, should i look on - 600 or 105?

600 (Ultegra) if you are going for an early STI equipment and either if you want down tube shifters. I had the champagne coloured 105 (series name escapes me now) BITD it worked and looked great. A tricolour 600 groupset with down tube shifters would be may favourite Shimano group set for your frame though. :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back