1993 Geoffrey Butler

Jack1995

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

My frame was made and built up in 1993 with both a 531c frame and forks. I've read else where that the frames where hand made by other builders and then stickered and sold by Geoffrey Butler of Croydon, anyone know any more about this?

The chap I bought it off had it built up for him in 1993 and used it for a little amateur racing and time trialing. I then bought it off him in August 2011 after I saw a little advert on his garden gate. He didn't seem to have used it much at all judging from the condition.

The main components are (all of which are original in '93 except the new tyres and bar tape) :

Frame and forks : Lugged 531 Competition
Wheels : Campagnolo Ypsilon Oxide Strada rims on 105 hubs
Brakes : Shimano 105
Downtube Shifters : Shimano 105
Front mech : Shimano Deore DX
Rear Mech : Shimano Deore LX (7 speed)
Pedals : Shimano 105
Tyres : Originally Continental Supersports
Saddle : Vetta Turbo

Plus various Cinelli finishing kit. (Bars, Stem, Seat Post)

Any thoughts or knowledge on Geoffrey Butler bikes or history and any opinions on this particular one would be gratefully received. I use it as my primary road bike and it rides beautifully.

Cheers!
Jack

Just a couple of photos, all of my photos of it are annoyingly from the non-drive side..

8680442263_62bb013dcc_z.jpg

8680441017_36da5cd1ba_z.jpg

Hi Jack,

I am in the process of getting a Geoffrey Butler back on the road

I've basically found the same as you in as much as the frames were made by local "builders" stickered up and sold out of the shop

They have a good website now but my main memory of the shop back in the late 70's and early 80's was that is was a lot smaller than now and was an anual trip for a club run in January to go to the sale

Living and racing in Sussex and Surrey I used to see a fair amount of GB bikes at events

Although a die hard Emperor Sport fan I now plan to try and get an example frame from all "South London" bike shops Allin, De Vere etc

Cheers

Mike

Back