1989 Scapin Atec

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Another project. That's 5 since the summer 2012 :?. Loved the detailing on this frame and it was my size to a T (55.5cm c-t with a 54.5cm top tube and 12.7cm headtube), so I snapped it up on the Bay with a BIN. Shipped from The Hague, Holland. It was a sunny day so I thought i'd go and get some snaps, it was also the first shots with my new Fujifilm FinePix S2980 hobbyist bridge camera. It is a little tatty as you would expect from a 24yr old frame, so the plan is to get it resprayed by Mercian cycles, Derby, in the coming month (20 miles away by train). Colour will be gunmetal grey metallic with apple green decals, chrome rear and fork to be saved (wheres that T-Cut metal polish!). Decals have already arrived from http://www.velocals.com/ Groupset will be Shimano 600 6400 tricolour from the late 80's to early 90's. Its a grey coloured group and I think it'll match the colour of the resprayed frame very well. Stem is a 3TTT Status also in gunmetal grey - got this from Planet-X cycles for a bargain 9.99 pounds. The ugly Stronglight headset has to go.

8665776088_38a5548578_c.jpg

8664671687_5ba31fb00d_c.jpg

8664674387_5732df711c_c.jpg

8664673027_73db7ae64b_c.jpg

8665775248_1f2d565be2_c.jpg

8664677229_f8faf55f31_c.jpg

KidDynamite":1vxz76ab said:
Are you going to keep the same paint scheme? Looks like a decent frame and a very bargain price.

Same graphics, but they will be in lime green. Paint will be a gunmetal grey metallic. Sample from Mercian cycles of this colour:

1268998372-9355m.jpg

otherself":170xs9nu said:
Sample from Mercian cycles of this colour:
Mercian frames are just pure sex! If you think you have seen some of the best-est painted frames
and never seen a Mercian frame, well you are in for one hell of a shock! Quality & finish is OUTSTANDING :cool:

Ian Raleigh":97kc64vo said:
otherself":97kc64vo said:
Sample from Mercian cycles of this colour:
Mercian frames are just pure sex! If you think you have seen some of the best-est painted frames
and never seen a Mercian frame, well you are in for one hell of a shock! Quality & finish is OUTSTANDING :cool:

Well, I hope so :LOL:. They will charge me over well over 130-140 pounds for the task of masking the rear chrome triangle, respray frame and detailing the lugs and seatstay caps in lime green. I just hope turnaround isn't a long wait.

I clapped eyes on two beautiful Mercian frame-sets hanging up in their shop,
one was metallic dark blue & the other was a metallic dark green,
the lustre was amazing, who ever does these frames does them
from their heart and really loves his job.

Ian Raleigh":1uzmghdh said:
I clapped eyes on two beautiful Mercian frame-sets hanging up in their shop,
one was metallic dark blue & the other was a metallic dark green,
the lustre was amazing, who ever does these frames does them
from their heart and really loves his job.

I'm sure I'll be salivating in their shop like a giant St Bernard when I go to Mercian this week :D.

Might pack my camera and gets some shots of their hanging frames.

When you go to Mercian look near the counter there is a reduced bargin bin,
usually full of old but new stuff, handlebar tape/plugs/huds, also have a scramble
through the old retro tan-wall tyres from the 80/90's .....all good stuff.

If you spot a Mercian Cycles wool jersey hanging up try not to look at the price tag!
Your head will hit the floor before your knee's go, its stupidly expensive.

Look forward to seeing your frame when completed :xmas-cool:

*UPDATE*

Frame is back now from the Mercian workshop, Derby. Took nearly 3 months they are that busy. I'm very pleased with the results. Colour is Polychromatic Grey with green pantographing. Period-correct decals were sourced from Velocals - they have hundreds of colour choices so i went with the lime green. Took only 3 days for them to arrive from the USA via airmail. http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront

Groupset will be Shimano 600 tricolour from the late 80's/early 90's period. Bar tape and tyres will be lime green.

9269741203_41ffef26cb_c.jpg

9269740281_245ba2479d_c.jpg

9272523156_6954886447_c.jpg

9272521374_e5f420a80d_c.jpg

Latest posts

Back