Fondriest Cles

stockni

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

Just picked up a Fondriest Cles from fleabay for what I think was a pretty reasonable price. The frame is a nice size, light, and from my 5 min ride up and down the road, stiff too. Tubing on the frame and fork is Oria TT0.9 which I've had a quick Google on as not as common as Reynolds / Columbus. Has a Campag groupset (although no marks on them to say what kind!) and a cheapy set of brakes which I'll be replacing straight away.

Here are some pics:

I've not really found anything info on this bike - age, spec, etc, but hoping someone on here might know a thing or two about them. That said I'm sure it can be made into a decent bike for the summer!

Nick

As far as I know, the Oria-Mannesmann company was founded in the early-mid 1980s and was set to rival Columbus & Reynolds. Of course they never got that big and ceased steel tube production around the mid to late 1990s when bike companies turned their attention to the 'aluminium boom' and the need for cheaper, tig-welded East Asian built frames. Vitus was another steel tube casualty of the the same period. Lots of top companies used Oria back in the day, including Pinarello, Olmo and Montagner. They made some nice tubesets. Miguel Indurain even won the Tour de France in '93 on a Oria-tubed steely machine I believe. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/a ... -34375/39/

I think the TT0.9 denotes a plain gauge chromoly tubeset with 0.9mm tube thickness throughout. Your fine bicycle looks typically late 80's early 90's to me.

Fondriest is still active today producing carbon frames. If you have a serial number on your frame then perhaps email them with it to maybe get a precise year of production? http://www.fondriestbici.com/eng/

The kit on your bike isn't bad at all, the finish on the chainset suggests Campagnolo Mirage and the brakes look like a nice late pairing of French Modolo levers and calipers. Fondriest bikes are very common here in France and tend to get great respect.

Thanks both - makes for interesting reading. The campag shifting is very crisp - hopefully once it's cleaned up there might be some identifying marks. There is some flaking on the finish on one of the crank arms.

The plan for the week is to give it a full service and deep clean and hopefully have it rideable in time for the weekend. If I can save the brakes I will as that would mean the only things I actually need are new tubes and tires.

I'll get the serial number off the frame when I'm home later, and fire an email off to Fondriest. I found an ad in NZ for someone saying it was circa 1992 which goes whit what you guys have said above.

I have the same bike sat in the garage awaiting attention after I finish my 83 Raleigh Clubman 12 , The groupset on mine is Campagnolo Mirage though it has been updated with 9 speed ergopower levers rather than downtube shifters .

Paul

Do you know anything else about the bike paul - year etc? Ive emailed fondriest for any info they may have.

What are your plans for yours?

I had the same problem as you Nick with not much information out there about the bike and no idea what year the bike is though I'm thinking early to mid 90's . The main plan is to polish the groupset or possibly paint it (I have the same problem as you with flaking enamel ) and touch up/tidy the frame with the intention of it becoming my N+1 or should that be "another N+1" :D

Paul

I'll let tou know if i hear back. Im contemplating ergo shifters for mine to replace the downtube ones. Also finding the bars a bit of a challenge but early days and want to try and keep it quite original.

Whats your frame like - mines got a couple of little rust spots but love the 90s paint job!

The frame is in quite good condition with no rust as such but a few scratches here and their . If you decide to go for ergopowers I could be persuaded to swap my levers for downtube shifters though :)

Paul

Back