Dads Old Condor !

robbo88

Retro Newbie
This is another bike rescued from my dads shed when they moved recently.
This one is a bit more complete and is currently having a proper service at my LBS, as its been standing for years and years.

It was definitely a Condor frame, it was originally finished in a darker shade of orange and I remember a seat post sticker in white with condor on it,when it was given to my dad it only had one wheel which was trashed and most of the components had been stripped off.It still wears its campag strada chain set with hefty 54t/45t rings.

It had been abandoned in the bike shed at his work, and when they shut the place down they let him take it away,so it has no history before that.It then hung on the shed wall for a good few years as he saved a little each month to buy some components to make it up.
Around the early eighties he painted the frame with humbrol enamel ( thank god for powder coating) and had it assembled.At the time he enquired at the condor shop in grays inn road , but as there was no stamps on it they couldnt identify it and were less helpful, as he didnt actually take the bike in.I suppose they had lots of people wanting transfers etc to replicate their machines.

During its re built life it did london to brighton a few times and thats about it, I am aiming to press it back into use and if i get on with it will probably strip it and have the frame finished properly.

I took the forks out to try and sort the head bearings thr grease has run out of and rusted and found some numbers stamped on the fork crown, so i will ping an e mail to condor , see if they can id it, would be nice to confirm what it is.

If anybody knows anything about what it could be please let me know.
Cheers

Attachments

• tn_074.JPG
    tn_074.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 752
  • tn_076.JPG
    tn_076.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 752
  • tn_077.JPG
    tn_077.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 753
Condor will help you so be patient on that front, looks 60's/ 70's but you can't see much detail with the small photo's. Are you able to put the photo's up somewhere ( Flicka , etc ), there's a history of Condor on the Classic Lightweight site which is worth a look. Don't rush into power coating, it is cheaper but think about what you want from the bike, if you want to restore it fully ( which it deserves ) a proper enamel job is best, you should be able to get decals, so don't panic on that front. If you need advice, or a quick chat, I live fairly close to you - 'pm' me. Terry

Thanks Terry,

I recently set up a dropbox account, I'll try and upload the photos to there and post a link, give me some time as new to this photo sharing thingeys, was bad enough sorting out thumbnails to put on here!!

Should be picking bike up this weekend so may take some more pics......was interested in your point about the paint job, I would want it done properly so if you know a place that would be handy.I have never powdercoated a pushbike frame but done a few motorbikes etc and finish is always nice and fresh.

Bike is running shimano 600 rear derailleur and levers, front mech is a suntour I believe and brakes are weinmann centre pull possibly 999's

cheers

Frame seems to have 60's written all over it :D

Condor made some really nice frames......... even up to the track iron found on international six day racing :)

Well worth being properly finished, flamboyant paints were the order of the day LOL

Shaun

Hi, photo's do help, at a guess a 1962 Italia which was I believe was an entry point model ( need to find a catalogue on the web ), but don't be put off by 'entry' point reference I believe next up the chopping order would be a Hurlow No 3 lugged Condor, so very nice and very sixties. Worth the time and effort. Terry

Thanks guys, bad news from the LBS, the bottom bracket is badly worn and will require replacing, but is an odd size, will pop down and find out exactly whats what but looks like it might be tricky to track one down.........meanwhile have e mailed Condor for some help with I.d ing the frame.

regards.

Bottom bracket shouldn't be an odd size.......they were pretty standard by the 60's. Unless it's been re-taped to a slight oversize because of crossed threads in the past.

I can count on one hand the number of oversize BB's we fitted back in the 70's.......

Shaun

Back