Ron cooper page

Plus one

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Please post your pics of your Ron cooper here.. Doesn't matter if you still own it or not.. Would be great
To see them..

With the passing of the man it would be nice as a small reminder of the beauty of his work..

Here's mine to get the ball rolling :cool:

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

As she is now

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Excellent idea, lets see those Coopers!

Here is the man at work, and my lovely 80's Ron Cooper in blue.

Attachments

• RC DO.jpg
    RC DO.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,545
  • RC Front.jpg
    RC Front.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 3,547
  • RC Side2.jpg
    RC Side2.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3,549
  • RonCooper.jpg
    RonCooper.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,551
Very sorry to hear about Ron passing away, heres a couple of photos of my Ron Cooper, a 2010 531 Professional made from stuff he 'had kicking around'.
4961529890_79777e2a3a.jpg

Built up
4960923609_0fd29e7111.jpg

This is one of Ron with the bike he made for my father in 1956 when he was working for Gillott - I took it down with me when I went to order mine.
4960930853_f4db272909.jpg

Just stumbled on this thread, so thought I might as well leave mine here. I was lucky enough to have Ron as my LBS man virtually round the corner growing up, so it was a no-brainer for my first "proper" racing bike order when I was 15, back in 1987. Rode the hell out of it as a teenager, then got a bit lazy and neglected it, but decided to bring it back to life last year for a 25th anniversary present. I had the good fortune to bump into Ron when I took it back to Colour Tech for a respray, very glad to have met the guy again for the first time in over 20 years. Now it's very much my Sunday best. Love it.

6875613735_a37862d825_z.jpg

6875600761_e3f1d7e0d9.jpg

7831864708_932c719496_c.jpg

8725400219_23769f5696_c.jpg

Hello from across the pond...I just came across your site searching for more information on Ron Cooper bikes. Sorry for the long post...for many years I have heard how good Ron Cooper bikes were and there was one shop in the area that would showcase his frames and for years I wanted one. but I didn't really have the chance until recently and I jumped at it. the guy was the original owner but didn't have the fork and he repainted the frame black and the only identifying feature was the diamond 'C' on the headtube.

the frame was not like any Cooper I had seen before (not that I had seen many); it was fillet brazed and not lugged, no decals, and the guy built it up as a fixie. a month after I found the frame, I heard of Ron's passing, may he rest in peace. I knew the frame was not going to be light and after striping the fixie parts, the frame was a little over 5 pounds. Since no decals, I had no idea what tubing Ron used, but from what I understand, many of his bikes didn't have tubing decals since he would mix tubing. but the weight didn't get me excited since I live with many hills in San Francisco. it took me a while to find a 1" carbon fork (I know, what a crime, but if I couldn't find a Cooper fork, it might as well be light). I've got Tony at A Bicycle Odyssey on the hunt for one. With some old parts and tubulars, I've got the complete bike just under 18 pounds. I've logged just about 200 miles on the bike and it is the best bike I've ridden...and I've ridden a lot of bikes. Everything from carbon to ti, aluminum and many steel bikes. I'm planning to have the frame re sprayed this winter and I have some 10 speed brifters and carbon cranks going on it and I'm going be riding it as much as I can! Thanks for having this thread.

Attachments

• P1080157sm.JPG
    P1080157sm.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,152
  • P1080170sm.JPG
    P1080170sm.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 3,152
  • P1080189sm.JPG
    P1080189sm.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 3,153
Super interesting frame Fogrider with the machined headtube, fillet brazing and wishbone rear. Haven't seen another, but then again i'm certainly not an expert. Weight is impressive as well!

I can also say my Cooper is a wonderful handling bike, rides straight as an arrow and very snappy. Has a quality feel for sure.

Curious if your frame has Campy or Columbus dropouts?

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing .. I'm no Ron Cooper expert but I'm not sure if what you have is a Ron Cooper ??

Hopefully someone with way more knowledge than me can confirm :)

Col :cool:

Mr.Toad":34iqp0al said:
Super interesting frame Fogrider with the machined headtube, fillet brazing and wishbone rear. Haven't seen another, but then again i'm certainly not an expert. Weight is impressive as well!

I can also say my Cooper is a wonderful handling bike, rides straight as an arrow and very snappy. Has a quality feel for sure.

Curious if your frame has Campy or Columbus dropouts?

Cheers!
the trick to the weight are the following:
1" IRD full carbon fork, nimble fly carbon tubular front wheel, kcnc CB1 brakes, alien carbon seatpost and selle italia slr saddle.
I can't tell what dropouts, see photo.

Attachments

• 00sm.JPG
    00sm.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,086
Back