Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Progress is slow (I actually removed all the parts from the frame and put them on a Fausto Coppi I am also working on), which was a nice opportunity to take some glam shots of the frame. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Earlier this year I sold my Shamal wheels they are fantastic wheels and bomb proof best thing is the hubs can be upgraded to the current CULT Ceramic bearings used on Bora 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Recently I got hold of a really nice Campagnolo Record Titanium 9-speed groupset. When I bought it, it was still on a bike. Seeing as the frame of the bike had cracks in the headtube, I was able to get the entire bike at a really nice price.

The best I can tell the groupset has seen very little use, but it had been in storage for quite some time. I ended up spending the entire morning today cleaning all the parts, removing rust in some areas and replacing some badly rusted bits and pieces. For now I am quite happy with the way the parts look on the bike. I also managed to find a seriously cool San Marco Regal saddle with a Flemish Lion printed on it, which I think looks great on the bike. All I need to get now are some nice wheels. Although the Shamal wheels looked okay, I still wasn't happy with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Today I finally managed to do the cables, bar tape and chain. I also added some Elite Inox bottle cages. All it needs now are some nicer wheels and tires :D . So far so good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:40 pm 
Retro Guru

By the way, what would be period correct pedals for this groupset?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:45 am 
Old School Hero

Nice outcome

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:12 am 
Retro Guru

kgt wrote:
Nice outcome

Still not sure what to do with the wheels. I have a pair of matching Record hubs, so that is a no-brainer. 36 holes are also a given and for now I am thinking of going radial up front and 2 cross on the rear. All that remains are the rims.

I like H Plus Son rims a lot and I also dig the concept of the wider profile of the TB14 and the Archetype. If I go the H Plus Son-way, I need to figure out first if the wider profile will fit the tight clearance on the front fork. If it does, next is choosing between low (TB14) and high (Archetype) profile and grey or silver. Depending on the tire choice (tan sidewall or not) a grey rim with a black tire will definitely not look the part, but a tan sidewall tire will work with just about anything.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:11 am 
Devout Dirtbag

SWijland wrote:
By the way, what would be period correct pedals for this groupset?

Record Pro Fit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Thanks! Didn't know Campy did pedals back then.

I have a pair of Merckx Podio pedals lying around somewhere, but I am guessing they would be to early for the bike right?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:12 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Campag been doing pedals for decades, pretty much since they started doing complete groupsets.

I wouldn't bother with perord correct Campag pedals from exactly 1999/2000. They look visually similar over the last 10 years or so, just buy some new 2013 or good 2nd hand ones from the last couple of years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next