Concorde Squadra steel aero bike project

Stempie

Retro Guru
I have been looking for a vintage steel aero frame for quite some time now, but up until now I was never able to find one I liked or was my size. A week ago I came across a very odd looking Concorde Squadra frame on an online classifieds website. Odd looking in that it was built with what looked like aero steel tubing. I took a chance and bought the frame as quickly as possible, hoping that it would something special. It was dropped off today at my place and I couldn't be happier.

It is indeed a Concorde Squadra and is it built from Columbus Ego tubing. I was hoping for Columbus AIR, but Ego is even better. To be honest I didn't now Ego even existed before today. The frame belonged to Eddy Vancraeynest. He is probably a big guy since the top tube length is a massive 60 cm (c-c). The seat tube length is 60 (C-T), so either he had a long upper body or this was his time trial frame. I suspect the first.

The paint on the frame is not something I really like, but I will keep the frame as it is for now until I think of a better finish. The same goes for the components and the fork. I will build it up with a DA 7700 groupset I have lying around, but I hope to build it up with some nicer parts in the near future.

Any ideas on when this frame was built?

8636720623_b1745a7b67_c.jpg

8637826972_be46dd09f3_z.jpg

8636720479_ecc0535e57_z.jpg

8636707203_8103411c4a_z.jpg

8637813444_01417030b2_z.jpg

8637813498_d0a519a2f2_z.jpg

8637813578_190db84011_z.jpg

Re: Concorde Squadra aero bike project

Very Nice frame! I'm sure a Google search will give you the answer..

Amazing find, wasn´t building square (top and seat tube of the same length) a common Italian practice? The Concorde frames were made by Italian builders like Ciöcc I believe. Still, it´s probably a time trial frame anyway considering the tubing.

And please reconsider repainting the frame. In my opinion it´s often a shame if a frame is painted over if the original paintjob is damaged, but this one is in very good condition so it verges into criminal destruction ;) . ´It´s only original once´ to use an often heard mantra.

Nice frame and story, I quite like the color scheme. Quote: " I will build it up with a DA 7700 groupset I have lying around, but I hope to build it up with some nicer parts in the near future" Nicer parts? DA 7700 IS nice parts! well in my opinion...

I think DA 7700 is great. My first choice road bike is actually built up with a DA 7700 25th anniversary groupset. However, the DA 7700 I have 'lying around' has seen a bit too many miles ;)

Can't help with the date of this bike, but JOWAN (as written on the sticker on your top tube)
is a famous bike shop in Kluisbergen, Belgium so maybe you can contact them for some help?

Johnny

Thanks a lot for the information on Jowan. I will send them an e-mail right away.

I think you have something very special there and I look forward to seeing it all built up.

I think Concorde are great, they did so many different models and specials it is really very hard to pin them down.

NeilM":29eozmzc said:
I think you have something very special there and I look forward to seeing it all built up.

I think Concorde are great, they did so many different models and specials it is really very hard to pin them down.

+1 very nice project :cool:

I just heard back from the bike store - JOWAN - that supplied this bike to the team. According to them the frame is 20 years old and belonged to a team called KSV Deerlijk - Westauto's. The club president at that time was Walter Coecke.

After some googling I managed to find a reference to this team being a semi pro cycling team from 1993. If I am not mistaken the picture below is of the team.

256317-19b658c647229bcc2ded8a90eadb7be1.jpg

Back