Alan restoration and build up.

ph billet

Dirt Disciple
After finishing the restoration of my self made aluminium frame in 1984. its time to build up the Alan I recently purchased. I believe it is a 1978 by the lack of cable guides on the top tube and horizontal rear drop outs and the way the seat stays attach to the seat tube lug,if anyone can confirm this it would be appreciated.The decal on the head tube may not have anything to do with Alan, maybe it was a suppler.I am going to make it period 70s with Campagnolo Nuovo record.the wheels will be the set of Zeus 2000 Ti hubs 28 spoke and Mavic Monthlery Route tubular rims that I bought in 1978 and only used lightly for races until I swiched to clinchers, and a Brooks professional saddle stamped 78. Let the fun begin. :LOL: :LOL:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=158607

Attachments

• DSC02515.JPG
    DSC02515.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 904
  • DSC02516.JPG
    DSC02516.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 903
  • DSC02517.JPG
    DSC02517.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 902
  • DSC02518.JPG
    DSC02518.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 901
Re: Alan resto and build up.

Looks to be earlier than 1984 the seat tube usually has a date stamp on it at the top, have you looked?

This is my 1980 Super Record that I bought a couple of weeks ago as a box of bits, it has the cable guides and different seat stay connections than yours. I'm almost finished and hoping to take it for its first run later today

Alan1.jpg

I can't confirm 1978, but it's definitely earlier than my Alan Super Record which is dated March 1980.

Steve.

Looks like my 70's ALAN :) there should be a date code on the seat lug, something like 1177, which would be November 1977.

Like the blue anodising :)

Cheers

Shaun

Can't see any stamping on the seat tube, only the size 55 x 55 stamping , I'm going with 1978 and try to find components around that time,I know the wheels are the right age as thats when i bought them, Thanks for the input.

47p2":nrhuugww said:
Looks to be earlier than 1984 the seat tube usually has a date stamp on it at the top, have you looked?

This is my 1980 Super Record that I bought a couple of weeks ago as a box of bits, it has the cable guides and different seat stay connections than yours. I'm almost finished and hoping to take it for its first run later today

Alan1.jpg

Very nice bike love the red colour.

Been eBaying for Italian parts for this restoration going with Campagnolo Nuovo record but will use the Zues 2000 wheels I have that I bought in 1978 they are tubulars and not been used since the early 80s when I changed to clinchers, pulled the hubs down to regrease all in great condition still, the titanium axles and quick release are so light.

Campagnolo Nuovo record derailuer Zues 2000 titanium hubs.

Attachments

• rear 1.JPG
    rear 1.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 692

still have the Brooks Professional saddle from my first bike its not Italian but very cool, found a 25mm campy seat post.

Attachments

• seat and post.JPG
    seat and post.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 691
Back