Peugeot Perthus Can You Help

bigringprice

Retro Newbie
Hi. new to retobike. Recently bought an old peugeot perthus 753. I am trying to find out which year it was made. An old friend of mine had a 87 perthus which was a lighter graphite grey colour, this was back in the late eighties when we raced on peugeots. The model I have is a darker grey. The last owner built it from a frame with mostly campag super record. I have been advised the frame no will id it but the paint masks the letters & I don't want to remove the paint, unless I have too. Thanks.

I'm not as well informed in this as i would like, but, it just so happens, here is one i made earlier :D ......

I have just finished stripping my blue & white Perthus Pro back to the bare metal in preparation for a respray in graphite grey would you believe :) As far as i was aware the later '88 '89 models were called Perthus Pro with the earlier models just badged as Perthus? The earlier models also had the chequered design Peugeot lettering on the down tube and the coloured stripes were in a slightly different position on the top & seat tubes? As for the numbering, i'm slightly at a loss, but below are the numbers of my bike both the bottom bracket shell and the original sticker that was on the lower rear stay. All i'm sure of is that the 52 in the code is the frame size.

Hopefully someone in the know can shed more light on this. :D

Would be great to see some photos of your Perthus as i can't decide on what shade of grey to go for :?

Pno2_zps84db9056.jpg

Pno1_zpsd22e4aed.jpg

Thanks for the reply. This perthus I own is a dark grey. The 87-88 perthus was available in blue/white with the newer graphics as well as the graphite grey model but this came with the older style checker board graphics on the down tube, both came with shimano 600ex. An old friend used to race on a 87 perthus pro while I had the mont cenis (980 vitus tubing) great bikes & they handled a treat. Your sticker id's your bike, PZ5HBWGB, the PZ is the Model, BW the color, GB great britain, the rest ?

Attachments

• SAM_0525.JPG
    SAM_0525.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,111
were there variations or crossovers i wonder bigringprice :? Only reason i ask is that i have seen (darker) graphite Perthus Pros with the same decals as the blue & white model. Could these have been resprays?

IMG_0389_zpsd635c93c.jpg

Anyway, i won't confuse your thread any further. Hopefully someone can accurately date your frame :D and i will pick up some more info on these bikes :D I really like the darker colour of your Perthus, it really makes the stripes pop! I have still not decided which shade to go for, i was thinking that some of the serial numbers could possibly be a paint code?

Sorry to be pedantic, but I love the shadow you've got in this photo!

:D sorry, but i can't take any credit for it. The bike belongs to another forum member (i think!) i simply borrowed the image :oops: a while back when i was doing some Perthus Pro research online. :)

Not sure I can be much help with frame dating, but I hear what you're saying about different shades of grey. Pictured below is my Perthus (lighter grey) next to my Aneto (darker graphite). Not sure if the Perthus has faded or whether it was original?? Either way there is a slight difference and they are contemperaneous in age, and both have identical (chequerboard) decals.

DSCF0537.jpg

They do ride nicely don't they - I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

Been told by a contact in the US that the first two numbers after the initial letter are year & month of manufacture. My perthus is B61, therefore if right that makes it a 1986 January. Had to strip the paint off to be able to read it as the paint covered the first part of the serial number.

Been told by a contact in the US that the first two numbers after the initial letter are year & month of manufacture. My perthus is B61, therefore if right that makes it a 1986 January. Had to strip the paint off to be able to read it as the paint covered the first part of the serial number.

Interesting :cool: My Perthus Pro therefore was manufactured in Feb 1988? Thanks for that information bigringprice

Back