How old is this Holdsworth ? with new pics 20/04/13

biggs682

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just aquired this rather nice Holdsworth and i am unsure of the age and model its 531 tubing for sure , i am guessing forks have been replaced at some point as they are sloping crown style . it was used to good effect by its previous owner for time trials run by Sydenham Wheelers CC along with the De Launne cc . i am led to believe the previous owner has now emigrated to Australia .

the frame has 30511 stamped on bottom bracket complete with blocked up grease port , will post some more details when back from lbs in a couple of weeks , cant wait for a spin on it .

it came with a few sprint and tubs including a pr of RH Airlite large flanged fr hubs on Fiamme rims , a pr of campag hubs laced on to what i think are wolber rims and one Zeus hubbed sprint complete with tubs . from what i can make out bike last used in 1986 .

any ideas re date greatfully accepted .

Attachments

• holdsworth.jpg
    holdsworth.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,012
Re: How old is this Holdsworth ?

Late 60's came with fully chromed full sloping crown forks.........super mistral perhaps?

Shaun

Midlife":2cdh1507 said:
Late 60's came with fully chromed full sloping crown forks.........super mistral perhaps?

Shaun

i am led to understand there is a pic of previous owner being presented a trophy by Sandy Holdsworth whilst sitting astride this machine . Sandy Holdsworth died in 1961 so must be earlier .

forgot to mention it has wrap over style rear stays that are half chromed . it tipped the scales at around 9.5 kg as in pic .

Ooops.....missed the bit about the BB grease nipple. Well before my time :)

Shaun

Sandy Holdsworth died in 1961 so must be earlier .
First thought on the available evidence is Super Mistral, but if this quote is true, it could be an earlier top-billing Holdsworth (Cyclone?) with Super Mistral forks from a later date. Check that the serial number on the fork matches the one on the bracket? Does anyone have a usable 'not before..' date for these full sloping crowns on British bikes, or European bikes, for that matter?

roadking":fyxx81a2 said:
I'd like to see a better image of the frame...close(r).

Roadking.

best i have at moment due to me forgetting to get some pics before dropping off at Lbs for some recommissioning , meant to have took loads to try and help , but what with the weather and everything else .

biggs682":111tuqz8 said:
roadking":111tuqz8 said:

Roadking.

best i have at moment due to me forgetting to get some pics before dropping off at Lbs for some recommissioning , meant to have took loads to try and help , but what with the weather and everything else .

No worries,

let's see some more at a later date. I'm always interested in good quality Holdsworths.

Rk.

roadking":9hkfgvjz said:
biggs682":9hkfgvjz said:
roadking":9hkfgvjz said:

Roadking.

No worries,

let's see some more at a later date. I'm always interested in good quality Holdsworths.

Rk.

ok will do

Back