Newbie here with my first retro bike ('80 Raleigh Europa)

Stuart

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone.......my name is Stu and I'm from Derby.
I found this site whilst on a Google search for parts.
I bought my bike as a cheapy fifty quid hack for a commuter and also as a means of getting back on to two wheels with a bid to burn off what seems to be the start of a midlife spread.
The bike is a 1980 Raleigh Europa.... not exactly the most sought after retro bike but I like it's looks and the ride feels nice and solid.
So far Ive stripped and cleaned it, fitted a pair of Continentals, a new seat and post, Benotto style plastic bar tape and generally maintained it. Future plans are a nice pair of pedals along with toe clips, pair of alloy rims and maybe a respray along with new repro decals.
I'm also on the hunt for a replacement water bottle to fit my current odd shaped cage....any ideas guy's?
Cheers
Stu

Attachments

• 20130314_210009.jpg
    20130314_210009.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 20130314_210048.jpg
    20130314_210048.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,077
Re: Newbie here with my first retro bike

Welcome to the world of Retrobikes. Get ready for a slow spiral into an Autosol addiction and excuses for buying just one more bike.

I've always had a soft spot for Raleigh's especially one's that roughly were the same colour as the team ones.

It looks like the bottle cage may have been bent (probably to take a pop bottle). I'd be tempted to bend it back into shape to take a normal shaped 'bidon'.

Enjoy your bike,

Paul

vivelesalpes":1dc6x2bh said:
Welcome to the world of Retrobikes. Get ready for a slow spiral into an Autosol addiction and excuses for buying just one more bike.

I've always had a soft spot for Raleigh's especially one's that roughly were the same colour as the team ones.

It looks like the bottle cage may have been bent (probably to take a pop bottle). I'd be tempted to bend it back into shape to take a normal shaped 'bidon'.

Enjoy your bike,

Paul

Thanks for the welcome :D
Already got an Autosol addiction Im afraid from my other garage toys lol
The bottle cage bends seem very precise to be honest and there's also signs of light wear on the insides of the top part, as though it used that part to clip into a bottle. From my google searching, it looks like it maybe to fit a funky streamline style/shaped bottle. But without a make, Im struggling. It's Italian made if that helps at all?

Hmm could be a swanky lo-pro cage like you say. I know BITD Campagnolo made something similar.

I'd undo the clips that are holding it on and replace it with a more standard shaped one.

Re: Newbie here with my first retro bike ('80 Raleigh Europa

Yeah that looks like being the best route. I may wait until Im ready to repaint the frame and have a pair of mounting bosses brazed on, instead of using ugly mounting straps.

vivelesalpes":1oeorhmp said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Welcome aboard Stu, the good news, or bad news, depending on how the addiction is progressing :facepalm: is that you have one of the country's 'main dealers' on your doorstep, they have some amazing gear :shock:

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

I pop over and lick their windows on the odd occasion myself :p

Hi and thank you :)
Yeah Mercian cycles is about half a mile from my door step.....I walk past them on the way to the pub in fact :LOL:
To be honest I never knew they were a manufacturer of bikes until recently when I got the Europa, I always throught they were just a small local bike shop :oops:
My workmate who I bought the Europa off has an old Mercian as his daily hack.....looking at it, through the grime, you can see its a well specced bike.

Used to have to prep a lot of these BITD as they sold well............looked smart in the team colours of the day :)

Just out of curiosity what's the frame number?

Shaun

Hey, I like the colour scheme...very similar to the Raleigh Burner!

Welcome to the board! :)

PH

Midlife":3j0muxjo said:
Used to have to prep a lot of these BITD as they sold well............looked smart in the team colours of the day :)

Just out of curiosity what's the frame number?

Shaun

Hi Shaun....the frame number is NM0060314 :)

Back